Norton Ghost and Acronis

pj123 17:28 20 Jun 2003

Has anyone successfully backed up their hard disk using Norton Ghost or Acronis. I have just tried both of these programmes. I tried to back up to CD/RW. Neither of them worked. I then tried to do the backup to my D: drive. That didn't work.

So, does anyone know of another backup programme that will backup a complete hard disk in case of failure?

jazzypop 18:57 20 Jun 2003

I have tried Norton and Acronis, and settled for Acronis. I routinely use it to make an image of my partitions from my internal hard drives to my external hard drive.

I have not tried to backup to CD - with a total of 220GB of internal storage, that's a few to many discs for my liking :)

The external drive has both USB2 and Firewire connectors - both work with Acronis, but I prefer the Firewire, as it is faster.

jimv7 19:07 20 Jun 2003

Never had a problem with ghost, the 2003 version can run from within windows, set it up, then it restarts puter, and can burn the image either to cd/dvd or 2nd drive/partition.

rusty 19:20 20 Jun 2003

I to have used Acronis to backup my systems disk to another partition,and for a restore Which it did with no problems.

I printed out the manual and followed it page by page to do my first backup and ever-thing worked well.
I am using the Free version of Acronis.

rusty

pj123 20:00 20 Jun 2003

jimv7, that is exactly what I did. But I told it to backup to my D: drive. I have two drives both 40gb C: and D: Everything seemed to go OK but took an hour and 14 minutes. Now I cant find any backups at all on my D: drive. Where does it put it? I also tried a backup to CD/RW using Acronis which tells me 5 CDs are required, but after about 2 hours with the first CD in I get an error message saying cancelled due to bad media??

jimv7 21:06 20 Jun 2003

From partition to partition, create image, select source drive, select destination drive, choose compression or not, ok.

Thats all I do, only substituting 'd' for my dvd writer.

Which version of ghost do you have?

christmascracker 21:37 20 Jun 2003

I use the free version of Acronis and had problems like yours when I first tried to create an image.
Twice it came up with the bad media message.
On a previous thread someone (I cant remember who) said to disable any anti-virus while creating an image.
I tried that and it worked perfectly and has done on numerous occasions since.

pj123 22:55 20 Jun 2003

jimv7, thanks I will give it another go. It is the version that came with Norton Systemworks 2003. The only thing that isn't installed is the antivirus programme as I have AVG.

christmascracker, I have AVG antivirus runnng in the background. I will give your suggestion a go as well. thanks.

pj123 10:56 21 Jun 2003

To All. Tried Acronis again with another batch of CD/RWs, still failed, but it did work with ordinary CD/Rs. Problem with that is, of course, it needs a fresh set of CDs everytime a backup is done. Still at least I now have a backup. My C: drive only contains the O/S and programmes and Internet settings and I have all the discs anyway.

Now ticked.. thanks all.

christmascracker 20:20 21 Jun 2003

Glad you got it sorted. I do a back up to cdr's every couple of weeks, takes 4 at a time but it's worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?