norton ghost

s-256399 00:33 08 Apr 2003

i had my broken 40gb hard drive replaced recently at a cost of £200 with the promise of all my software backed up with ghost, when he eventually gave me the three cd's of my hard disk he then asked me for another £50 before he would supply the floppy disc, i didnt bother as i have original restore disk from pc manufacturer but it would be handy to be able to use new hard drive backup, is there any other way to use the cd's or should i just throw them now? i have never used norton ghost.

Soy (AKA tran1) 00:53 08 Apr 2003

If the guy imaged your hard drive with Norton Ghost, I would think you will need to have the floppy disk to boot into DOS and the norton restore program. click here .

Check the CD's to see what you have got. You may need to buy yourself a copy of norton ghost to beable to retsore those images.

if not, a complete restore with your recovery disks.

£200 is way over the top for imaging a disk. Couple of years ago, I paid someone £80 including the new hard drive.

Taran 02:28 08 Apr 2003

He has no right to charge that amount to supply a copy of a Norton Ghost boot floppy disk. While the disk imaging service, if arranged, is worth paying for (but not at the cost you mention) and additional fee of £50 is unreal for a boot floppy.

DABS click here are selling the current version of Norton Ghost for £38.77 including VAT. This gives you the installation CD, boxed, with the instructions and so on.

I'd be keen to pursue this if I was in your shoes. I'd be interested to know just what kind of licensing arrangement he has with Symantec that allows him to charge a domestic client £50 for a copy of a boot floppy of their software on top of an imaging fee, again using their software.

Making a few waves along those lines may give you a result of some kind. I'd certainly follow it up.

Regards

Taran

€dstow 08:22 08 Apr 2003

Sounds like blackmail - "pay me fifty quid for a floppy or the CDs are useless" type of thing.

What's the next stage? Only half the floppy?

Tell him where to go and do as Taran suggests - cheaper anyway - and you have a system for backing up included.

€d

Paranoid Android 13:34 08 Apr 2003

You should have come to me, I would have done it for £ 190.00

;)

I agree with the others, this cowboy has ripped you off. Live and learn, I guess.

Marvin

Switcher 14:38 08 Apr 2003

If your hard drive was broken how did this person manage to back it up.

Sounds very fishy to me.

s-256399 21:32 08 Apr 2003

sorry if what i wrote didnt make sense.
my hard drive broke, i called a pc repairer he said he would replace and fit a new hard drive & put on all my software in correct order the way i want it for £200,

s-256399 21:40 08 Apr 2003

sorry again,i forgot a bit

and then back it up

I have Norton Ghost 2003 and have taken a look at the documentation which states that you do not need a separate boot disk if the image is created using CD's as Ghost.exe is included so it is possible to boot from the first CD.

It may be that an earlier version has been used to create the image and that a boot floppy is required. I have not used previous versions so those better informed than me may be able to offer some assistance.

I really hope that you get this sorted without having to pay out any more money.

Good luck.

Taran 03:56 09 Apr 2003

Earlier versions of ghost did not create a bootable CD by default.

The £200 fee does not seem so unreasonable for a replacement hard drive with everything installed and set up as you like it, along with a recovery backup disk set. The point that rankles me is the extra £50 for a floppy disk with the Ghost boot and program files on it. Especially since the copy of Ghost will be licensed to him and not you.

Put the first CD in your PC and restart the machine. If it goes into a boot process where it reads the disk and you see a Symantec/Norton Ghost splash screen after some boot up code, you have a bootable CD set so you don't need the floppy disk.

I'd still advise you to chase it up. An initially agreed fee should be stuck to. I have the sneaky feeling that he is either trying to take your eyes out, or he has read or heard about some PC manufactures charging £50 for a recovery floppy disk that allows a computer owner to access the recovery files on their hard drive. The files are still on the hard disk, with or without the emergency floppy disk, but it's a good earner for those manufacturers who still practice this, and if he is aware of the practice he may just be trying to emulate it in the name of swelling his wallet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?