norton ghost

eccomputers 15:14 09 Mar 2003

I have just installed norton ghost in the hope to create a backup image of my system drive to hard drive (slave) and then burn it to cd.

I created a norton boot disk and booted up using this. I then went into the create image options and pointed it to the D: slave drive which has 40gig free. When it had imaged 2gig it asked for the next media saying that this one was full up. I didnt get an option to change the drive reference or anything. Is dos limited to 2gig or something? I thought dos could see what the bios could.
The hard drives are both fat32.

Lú-tzé 15:53 09 Mar 2003

"Is dos limited to 2gig or something?" - I think so - I have this problem occasionally.

Try it on max compression - that usually works, or try some of the switches with Ghost that will allow you to make a number of images of, say, 650MB (a size to be burned onto CD).

click here for a clear, indepth guide.

BRYNIT 16:07 09 Mar 2003

Why not burn it direct to your CDRW drive.

Enter Ghost from dos, Disk to image, select source drive, select destination drive you should find you CDRW drive follow instructions. The higher the compression the longer it will take. You may need more than one disk, I use CD/R disks. Once it has been copied you can check the copy against the original.

eccomputers 16:15 09 Mar 2003

thanks, I'll try those options.

I'll let you know.

eccomputers 16:33 09 Mar 2003

I tried the cd-r option and selected high compression. Before commencing, it prompted that 31 cd-r's will be needed. Surely not? I have 7 gig of data.

BRYNIT 18:40 09 Mar 2003

As a CD-r disk will take 700Mb of data i would say 7 gig of data would req about 10 disks

eccomputers 19:32 09 Mar 2003

650meg = .6347gig

therefore 31*650meg = 19.67gig

I wonder why it thinks a 30gig drive with 7gig of
used space has 19.67gig to copy into an image file.

I have 7gig which is 7,168 meg
divided by 650 = 11.02 cd-r's

perhaps norton cant count or maybe it says 31 but
will actually only use 12. I cant risk losing 31 cd-r's to see if the whole thing works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?