Norton Firewall/File Sharing

Dan Electro 20:40 02 Dec 2005

I know I’ve asked a question about this matter before but I am still having problems. I have an ADSL wireless router. My desktop is connected through the Ethernet port and my laptop wirelessly. I have the firewall switched on the router as well as WPA enabled. Both machines have Norton Internet Security. They can both connect to the Internet with no problem, but I have a problem with file sharing. I know for a fact that it is not the router causing the problem as I have turned the firewall and encryption off and the problem still exists. However when I turn off Norton Internet Security on both machines I can share files until I turn it back on again. I have by the way turned off the ‘Block Windows file sharing’ rule and both machine and the router are entered as trusted sources and this makes no difference. I am almost certain this is a Norton Firewall configuration problem but what else do I need to configure?

Terry Brown 20:59 02 Dec 2005

If you are running AOL, I believe they have their own firewall system, which could be the problem, also is Norton Firewall clashing with windows firewall?

RonL 21:21 02 Dec 2005

Just cured a similar problem, but with Trend PV-cillin IS14, which may suggest a way to go.

(2 PCs wired by Ethernet cables, and laptop by Wi-Fi.)

I put a couple of In and Out exceptions for each PC in the Personal Firewall section. Does Norton have something similar ?

If you are running the Norton Firewall, then you should have all other firewall turned off

Ron Luxton

RonL 21:24 02 Dec 2005

Thick fingers - that should have been Trend PC-cillin !

Ron Luxton

Dan Electro 18:26 03 Dec 2005

Right, firstly I am on Tiscali, second Windows Firewall is disabled. I will now go and check the suggestion about the exceptions. Thank you all for responding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?