Norton Firewall - is it working or not?

pj123 11:41 03 Feb 2003

The responses I got from my previous posting gave me some assurance but since I have been on NTL BB I have not had one alert from the firewall???

I am a bit concerned because when I was on dial up i used to get two maybe three alerts every time I was online. Should I uninstall the firewall and then re-install or assume it is doing its job. If I hold my mouse over the icon it says Norton Personal Firewall Enabled.

thanks

Wes Tam ;-) 11:48 03 Feb 2003

pj123 Why don't you use the facility 'Security Check' to ease your worries.

JoeC 11:53 03 Feb 2003

I get an alert on average of one a week. Sometimes I don't get any for ages, and sometimes I get two or three in a day. If you have been to Shields Up and the Symantec Site to check, then relax !

pj123 12:44 03 Feb 2003

Thanks. Just run Security Check and everything passed except Anti virus. It said it could not detect an anti virus programme on my computer but I have AVG anti virus. i assume that because it is not a norton product it didn't find it.

Pete

pj123 22:44 03 Feb 2003

Well I have had BB now since 23/01/03 and as this PC is logged on to the internet all day every day I still have not had one alert yet?

I am beginning to get jumpy. Although I must say that with AVG running as well I haven't had a virus either. fingers firmly crossed.

VoG™ 22:52 03 Feb 2003
  powerless 22:58 03 Feb 2003

I've only been online for 15 minutes and i've had 10 alerts already. Although there silent ones ;-)

click here

click here

click here

However i do use Zonealarm, doubt thats anything to do with it.

Zonealarm has LOW - Medium - HIgh - Settings for the firewall, I'm on high at the moment.

Maybe NFW has something similiar, like you've set the detection on a low setting? So its letting alot of stuff through. Harmless stuff i bet...

pj123 23:19 03 Feb 2003

I tried the link grc.com and all the answers came up as "there is no evidence that this pc exists" and now my firewall icon is flashing.

thanks to all who responded - good to know I am not here.

now ticked as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?