Norton Firewall Disabled on Startup, - Malicious?

thegreypanther 09:11 22 Aug 2005

Recently I have discovered that my Norton Personal Firewall is being disabled on startup, even though the option for it to run on startup has been selected. I have a suspicion that there is some malicious software somewhere on the system that is causing this. I run Spybot and Microsoft's Anti Spyware programs, - maybe these haven't picked up the offending item. Any similar experience? Any suggestions? How do I make sure that Norton Firewall ISN'T disabled on startup?

Pine Man 19:11 22 Aug 2005

I had a similar problem with Norton Antivirus and checked it out on Symantecs support site at click here which suggested starting the computer and opening the application and disabling it. Restart the computer and enable it then restart again and all was ok.

Might work for you but if not you have the link above to search for a better solution.

thegreypanther 19:51 22 Aug 2005

I am now fairly confident that something malicious managed to get into my system. I found that the "Enable Security" box on the Firewall had become unticked. By running the Spybot, Ad-Aware, and MS Spyware programs a couple of times, things seemed to return to normal after restarting. My suspicions were first aroused when I noticed a small message box open up in the toolbar, containing a green jigsaw puzzle image as well as the message. While trying to find out what this was, I noticed that the Firewall was disabled. I may be wrong, but I believe that some malicious software found its way onto my PC, and hopefull has been eliminated by the anti-Spyware programs.

VoG II 20:09 22 Aug 2005

Green jigsaw puzzle image - do you use Firefox? It uses that sort of image for extensions.

Just a thought.

Which version of Windows do you have - if it is Windows XP SP2 it should warn you but see click here

thegreypanther 20:55 22 Aug 2005

Yes, I use Firefox. However, I somehow don't think that Firefox was to blame. Let's just put it all down to one of those PC moments that drives one nuts, and hope that my bank account and credit card information hasn't ended up where it shouldn't!!

shizzy 22:23 22 Aug 2005

The Firefox green jigsaw puzzle shape pops up when there is an update but only stays for a second or two. You see it out of the corner of your eye then it's gone! We had Norton firewall or AV (can't remember which) keep disabling on our other PC so dumped it on both computers and use the freebies. Don't think you need to worry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?