Norton and Disk Write failures

Eraflooz 08:22 05 Feb 2003

Hey now! Maybe someone can tell me why when I am using Norton SystemWorks 2002, any utility in the program that analyzes my hard disks(Disk Doctor etc.), seems to have trouble completing because of.."Restarting due to disk-write failure." I will get to say 5% then it will restart and get to 6% before it restarts again, and on and on like this until it finishes. Any ideas?

Andsome 08:49 05 Feb 2003

Could there be a corruption somewhere? It is easy to uninstall and then reinstall, this shoukd get rid of any corrupt files.

Eraflooz 08:55 05 Feb 2003

I have done a reinstall to no avail...I will try again though to be sure...My HDD is a 40gig Maxtor that I purchased used...Could there
be some sort of fault with the Drive itself maybe?
That does seem hightly unlikely as the only prob I have had is with Norton. Thanks.

powerless 09:01 05 Feb 2003

Run Windows Scandisk in safe mode. When the computer is starting keep tapping the F8 key and you will then be presented with an options screen. Please select "Safe Mode"...

Then run windows sacandisk. Perform a thorough scan, will take some time and see what that reports if anything.

You could also run Disk Doctor as well.

If you prefer to scan in windows then close everything down. Disable screensavers etc...

Also retry disk doctor as above.

Stuartli 09:08 05 Feb 2003

You can avoid screensavers starting up during ScanDisk by moving the mouse slightly; the number of times depends on how long it takes before a screensaver kicks in.

Or temporarily extend the screensaver's kick-in time scale.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?