NORTON DISK OPTIMIZATION?

rotormota 13:37 03 Dec 2004

When I optimize my added external hard drive (g) a message appears stating 'The volume that you wish to optimize is a non NTFS volume. You should run Norton Disk Doctor on non NTFS volumes before optimizing.'

What does this mean, can I make it a NTFS volume to stop the message appearing every time?

Cheers.

Diodorus Siculus 13:54 03 Dec 2004

If you wish, you can convert it to NTFS - all the message is saying is that you should run disk doctor on it before optimisation to check for any problems on it.

Techzonez - Convert or Switch to NTFS File System -
click here

PA28 14:06 03 Dec 2004

Be very careful here. When I first had XP I my drive remained as FAT32. I then ran Norton, missed the warning you have picked up, and it trashed the drive completely and unrecoverably. Whether this was a once of due to particular circunstances that I didn't know existed, I don't know - lesson was learned the hard way! I then converted to NTFS before reinstalling XP.

I would suggest that you convert to NTFS (it is far more robust and removes a number of limitations that FAT32 has) but use Windows own defrag to keep it in trim. Norton is good - I have used it for more years than I care to remember - but I now only use it to run the odd check on Windows files to make sure all is OK. Under XP, a number of Norton's (2002) options are blanked off anyway.

XPs help gives you the walkthrough on conversion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone