Norton and AVG

suburban train 23:05 27 Jan 2003

Due to virus alert which i got last night, ive purchased Norton Anti-virus 2003. Now i have no viruses, but can have have running at the sametime Norton Anti-virus 2003 and avg or will it conflict and cause problems.

Which program do you think is better.

Djohn 23:09 27 Jan 2003

Norton is undoubtedly a very good product, but I found it to be resources hungry, AVG just runs quietly in the background doing it's job.

PSF 23:09 27 Jan 2003

They could cause conflicts, as you have paid for Norton you may as well use it. It is one of the recommended Anti-virus programs.

barryoneoff 23:14 27 Jan 2003

I know Norton has a good reputation, but it caused endless trouble and conflicts on my PC. Changed to AVG and all ok for ages now.

spuds 23:18 27 Jan 2003

Having a combination of anti-virus programes can, in some cases, cause a confliction between programmes.It doesn't mean that having two or three anti-virus protection programmes installed on your machine will make your machine two or three times safer, it doesn't work like that. In my oppinion, AVG would have been ideal. I have always used the freebie version, and so far it as worked okay for me.

Djohn 23:24 27 Jan 2003

abolakrami, if I remember correctly, wasn't it AVG that found the virus for you and successfully quarantined it?

leo49 23:31 27 Jan 2003

Next time you feel like throwing money away,lob in this direction! :o)

suburban train 23:35 27 Jan 2003

It was AVG which found the virus but i had to remove it myself by turning of the system restore point and deleting my temp internet files

leo49 23:48 27 Jan 2003

You'll have to do exactly the same with Norton.

leo49 23:51 27 Jan 2003

I told you in your virus thread that once a virus is in the Restore files anti-virus programs are not allowed by Windows to get at them.

suburban train 23:56 27 Jan 2003

Thanks for your help. I just feel a little safer that im using Norton which is tried and trusted.

I believe AVG is a good anti-virus program but when it comes to harmful viruses its better to be on the safe side rather than losing possibly everything on the hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?