Norton AV virus update

hoverman 14:26 29 Mar 2004

There are new virus update definitions available today. They seem to download OK but fail to install with an error message. Anyone else experiencing this?

bgc2668 14:44 29 Mar 2004

No problems here.

medicine hat 15:08 29 Mar 2004

If you are using LiveUpdate then the Intelligent Updater may work click here

johnnyrocker 15:10 29 Mar 2004

also beware of not being able to send/receive mail afterwards as it seems to need configuring again after update.

johnny.

Sir Radfordin 15:21 29 Mar 2004

Just tried LiveUpdate twice and got this:

LU6004: LiveUpdate did not complete successfully.
Due to a transmission error, one or more LiveUpdate components failed internal authentication. Please run LiveUpdate again. If the error persists, contact your network administrator or LiveUpdate provider.

So I'll leave it for a bit and see what happens?!

hoverman 15:23 29 Mar 2004

Downloaded Intelligent Update and ran it successfully. Odd thing is the latest installed Virus Definitions is dated as 28/3/2004 - same as it was before. Ran Liveupdate again and it reported I was fully up to date.

hoverman 15:32 29 Mar 2004

That was the error message I got.

ventanas 16:08 29 Mar 2004

Good, it's not just me. (sorry). Just installing NAV 2004 Pro on 29 machines. (We're not getting Netsky again). So far half of them have updated fine, and the others blob with this error. It seems to be just the latest update that is affacted, but you already know that. Found if I left it for half an hour and tried again it was ok.

Medicine hat. I hadn't noticed the date was wrong. Strange. Could it be the time difference in USA?

anchor 16:13 29 Mar 2004

The date you have, 28.3.04, is the latest available.

Norton produce an update every working day; due to time difference, that means it is usually available in the UK about 8pm. The next one should be out later this evening. I usually download them first thing in the morning, Tuesday to Saturday.

click here

I never have had any problems in sending or receiving e-mails after updating. This has been true when using Norton A/V 2002, 2003, and my current 2004.

jim1947 16:37 29 Mar 2004

To resolve this problem (from symsntec) make sure you have all system files and hidden files shown, search your C: drive for foders containing "download" locate the \download\liveupdate folder and delete all contents. Run liveupdate again and all should be well.

hoverman 16:53 29 Mar 2004

Tried that but it didn't work. As I said above, I have now successfully updated using the Intelligent Updater.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone