is norton av playing silly s--ds

standing bull 12:04 19 Feb 2005

hi folks,norton av 2005 is telling me i have adware ctd on my computer,i posted this problem on thursday,one of the replys gave nortons answer to this,but on following several threads to the registry they are not there,i also ran trend housecall as advised, this found nothing,can anyone please suggest what is going on.

gudgulf 12:40 19 Feb 2005

Link to original post click here

Does Norton point to any file/folder in particular when it finds adware ctd?.

If Trend and a search for the registry entries turns up blank then I doubt that you are infected.Looking at what it does you would be aware of something wrong if it was running on your pc.However Norton can scan within zipped files so it's possible that there is an installer for it lurking somewhere on your system.This has happened to me when an adware program had piggy backed a file I downloaded.My Norton found it before it ran...most of my other adware/spyware scanners only detected it when it installed.

standing bull 15:10 19 Feb 2005

hi gudgulf,thanks for taking time to reply,all i can offer is the link that totally-braindead gave me on my first posting(follow link to original post),as i said there is nothing like that listed in registry,any other comments please.

gudgulf 17:01 19 Feb 2005

I looked at that link...but that just tells you what files to look for if you are infected.You have already checked for those and found nothing.

What I mean is when Norton detected the "infected" file it would have given its location on your pc.If you open the Norton av control panel and click on "reports" and then "view quarantined items".Then have a look in both the quarantined items and backup items folders .If you find the file labelled adware ctd then double click on it and it will tell you the original location of the file.I'm assuming that Norton dealt with the infected file here.If it couldn't remove or quaratine it then scan again and click on the "more details" button when the scan finishes to find the location.

standing bull 14:13 20 Feb 2005

hi again,having followed gudgulfs advice i have checked both quarantine and backup files,its not listed there,just ran norton av again and the only thing i can add is when you click on more ifo ,under filename it says
ms[1].htm does this tell you anything else.

powerless 14:24 20 Feb 2005

Yeah I had this same "problem".

Delete all temp files from all user accounts.

This is the only way it would budge for me.

standing bull 18:32 20 Feb 2005

hi powerless,where do i find the temp files in user accounts please,sorry but ive still got a lot to learn.

powerless 19:05 20 Feb 2005

In your account...

Start, Run, Type:

%temp%

Click OK.

Now delete all files.

For Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options...

Click Delete Files... and Delete cookies...

Repeat in each user account.

standing bull 19:46 21 Feb 2005

me again,i have done as powerless suggested,however not all files can be deleted,i still have the problem ,but as norton says threat is low i think im going to ignore it,if any other suggestion ,then i will try them ,in the meantime thanks for advice to all.

standing bull 19:47 21 Feb 2005

me again,i have done as powerless suggested,however not all files can be deleted,i still have the problem ,but as norton says threat is low i think im going to ignore it,if any other suggestion ,then i will try them ,in the meantime thanks for advice to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?