Norton AV to AVG Free

Drum 11:16 23 Feb 2007

I'm running Windows XP and installed Norton System Works a couple of years ago. It's been working fine and I renewed the annual anti virus subscription once, but had a lot of trouble with the renewal licence which took weeks to sort out.

My Norton anti virus has expired again now and I want to use AVG free instead. I'm a bit worried that if I install AVG it's going to interact with my Norton AV, but I don't want to uninstall Norton system works as it has other features like Go Back and live update I want to keep.
Is it sufficient to disable auto protect only? Will I keep getting reminders to reenable?

brundle 11:18 23 Feb 2007

You can't have two AV products installed at once, they will conflict. I have no idea if System Works forces you to use Norton AV though.

brundle 11:19 23 Feb 2007

Well not strictly true, if one is resident and the other is an on-demand scanner you can, but why bother...

The Kestrel 11:22 23 Feb 2007

It is not recommended that you have two antivirus programs installed on a computer as they are likely to conflict with one another. Unless you can completely disable Norton AV without disabling the other functions you wish to keep, I think you will have to bite the bullet and renew your Norton AV subscription again. Having said that there are loads of excellent free programs that could replace the other functions in Norton System Works.

Batch 11:27 23 Feb 2007

Isn't live update just a service that keeps the Norton apps up to date (so if you don't have other Norton apps, you don't need live update).

Rather than Go Back, you could consider Acronis True Image (which, admittedly is the equivalent of Norton Ghost) and can be used to similar effect.

gudgulf 11:28 23 Feb 2007

Try running the uninstaller.

You may be given the option of removing only the av.

If not then uninstall the lot and reinstall using the custom option.

You should then have the option to only install the components you want.....deselect the av there.

If you disable auto protect the active component of AVG wont clash with Norton but you might find it picks up on any files quarantined by Norton or even some of Norton's definition files.

It wont do any harm to try that first if you want.But it would be best to uninstall the AV component of Norton in the long run.

Drum 11:39 23 Feb 2007

I'm well aware that one can't have two AV products running on the same PC, and this is why I posted the question to see if anyone else had done this particular conversion.

The Kestrel says " there are loads of excellent free programs that could replace the other functions in Norton System Works.", but I don't think this is strictly true, as I really like Norton GoBack and some of its features e.g. safe try mode etc, which will be hard or impossible to replace.

When I renewed my subscription for Norton AV before it didn't renew other components like Norton firewall, and I finished up un-installing that component, so I basically lost it but didn't need to, as I didn't realise it would have kept working fine. I don't want to get into that situation again and lose GoBack which is the only other feature of System Works that I found any use.

Drum 11:54 23 Feb 2007

There doesn't appear to be an UnInstaller for system works, so I'll just have to use add/ remove programs.
Live update is used for updating all the Norton apps. including GoBack.
Thanks for the advice everyone but i'm going put this on hold for a few days as my PC has been playing up today after an Adobe reader update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone