Norton AV

mickmoran61 02:23 08 Jun 2005

I have been running Norton AV for 18 months now, with no problems. However, this evening, my Norton has collapsed, with a message like: "Norton AV has been tampered with. You must uninstall and reinstall Norton AV." All of the settings on my Norton screen say "Tampered"

Presumably this is a virus, but what kind of a virus can totally disable my anti-virus software?

Can you help?

Mick

Andsome 08:24 08 Jun 2005

I would first of all run an online scan from here. click here . Then I would do as Norton say and uninstall the program, and reinstall it. There may not be a virus. It is quite possible that the program has become corrupted for another reason.

mickmoran61 00:18 09 Jun 2005

Dear Andsome,

I'm slightly afraid to let a remote computer scan my system. You can understand why!!

I reinstalled Norton,with some difficulty, ran it, and it came up with "fatal" errors, and closed itself down. However, I ran it again and it found 14 threats (all adware). It allowed me to delete 10 of them. 4 files remained, which it would not allow me to delete. These were:
1)bygdwakh.exe
2)farmmext.exe
3)intlreco.exe
4)pynix.dll
Happily, I also have "Pest Patrol" on my computer, which I quickly updated and ran. Pest Patrol found the above four and five more, and allowed me to delete them.

I think I'm back to normal again! But this still doesn't explain the crash of Norton AV.

Has anybody seen the files listed above before?

Mick

Babou 00:28 09 Jun 2005

intlreco.exe - trojan
farmmext.exe - spyware
pynix.dll - adware

Do you keep Norton up to date?

Andsome 10:06 10 Jun 2005

Register at this website, and follow the instructions to post a Hijack This log. There are several real experts who can practically guarantee to get everything back to normal. There are also experts on this forum, but the snag here is that such a log has to be split into two, due to forum restrictions on the size of postings.

click here

mickmoran61 00:28 11 Jun 2005

Thanks Andsome and Babou,

I have been keeping Norton AV up to date. I reinstalled it as per instructions. The only "viruses" it detects are "adware" (which have all now been deleted)
Everything seems to be OK now!
Andsome, I will keep your "neoplanet" website in mind, thanks!

Regards

Mick

Gaz 25 00:32 11 Jun 2005

That running an online scan is safe.

The files on click here are not transfered, but scanned locally. You can even disconnect while scan is running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?