Norton Antivirus - reinstall

Olly 18:40 28 Jul 2004

I use Windows 2000 and Norton Antivirus 2002 installed. Unfortunately my grandson has used the Add/Remove programmes in control panel to remove it, along with various other programmes. I have reinstalled these programmes from various sources but cannot find a way to reinstall Norton Antivirus, although there are lots of symantec files left on my computer. I have tried all avenues on the symantec web site but all they seem to want to do is sell you something. I do not have a disc, this programme was original downloaded from the internet. I have only just renewed my subscription so I do not want to forget it.

Dorsai 18:55 28 Jul 2004

See what you mean.

Just one big shop, it seems.

Perhaps e-mail them, with your relevent personal details, and say what happened?

System restore an option on 2000? never used it have I (2000 that is), so dunno.

Someone must know though.

sattman 19:20 28 Jul 2004

This from Symantec, does not look like they support a free replacement.

A Disks or Manual replacement or exchange can be ordered directly through Symantec Customer Service. You must have registered the product or show proof of purchase in order to take advantage of this offer.

Symantec guarantees the media on which its products are distributed for a period of sixty (60) days from the date of delivery of the software to you.

Please note: If you have purchased a Downloadable version of Symantec software, you do not qualify for free replacement media.

If you have downloaded a Trialware version of a Symantec product or have received an OEM copy of Symantec software, you do not qualify for replacement media.

gold 47 19:46 28 Jul 2004

I am sorry to say you have lost this one as Norton Antivirus 2002 is to old all Symantec products now require an activation key and you don't
get many reinstalls before they lock you out and you have to ring them up.
Don't know why system restore won't work for you as you have not removed them from the hard drive you should also try the recycle bin the files are there of coarse if this is not activated it's lost,thats of coarse W2000 has this feature.

gold 47 19:51 28 Jul 2004

Have you tried.
scanreg /restore you are given an option of previous dates again i'm sorry i don't know if this will work on W2000.

sattman 08:10 29 Jul 2004

gold 47

What is it that makes you state "Norton Anti Virus 2002 is to old"

gold 47 11:07 29 Jul 2004

Sorry i was going by it's release date as 2003 and 2004 of coarse are the later versions which you require the key to activate.

Sans le Sou 12:54 29 Jul 2004

You can usually get Norton Internet Security 2003 on ebay for about a tenner. No activation key and a years updates and you can register it for support. It will not get you your money back but may be a cheap solution.

Taff36 13:00 29 Jul 2004

When you downloaded your original copy did you get an activation key or have to register the product? If yes to either have you kept the details? Thinking that you may only need a copy disc of 2002 to reload using your legitimate details to get it back running.

Sans le Sou 21:26 29 Jul 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?