Norton Antivirus /. E-mail problems

Grendle 08:06 08 Dec 2004

Following problems with my Antivirus (NAV2004)not updating properly I uninstalled and reinstalled it at the weekend. However, it now seems to be blocking all outgoing e-mail (NTL). If I turn NAV off e-mail seems to get sent OK

Incoming e-mail is being received OK but if there is any e-mail in the outbox to be sent I receive an error that it has not been possible to connect to the server which may be due to network problems, a period of inactivity, etc. It then mentions port 25 and "no error code"

Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be and how to cure it?

Many thanks

xania 08:58 08 Dec 2004

This could be a problem with your reinstallation. One of the main problems with Norton is making sure its fully uninstalled before running afresh installation. If you get this wrong, expect whatever happens. After uninstallation, itr is important to ensure that the program folder is deleted and its also worth while checking for any other folders with the word <Norton> or <Symantec>. There's also some guidance on the Symantec website:

click here

click here

click here

click here=

xania 09:00 08 Dec 2004

Sorry - that last link got damaged. Here it is in sections:

http://

service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2003111409501936?Open&src=&docid=2001090510510636&nsf=nip.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Grendle 14:31 08 Dec 2004

Xania

Thanks but I already had those instructions when I uninstalled it. Was very careful to delete all folders with the names Norton or Symantec and all registry entries with those words

All seems to be working OK except for e-mail

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017