Norton Antivirus Disabling on its own

stugra 11:56 09 Jun 2004

My Norton Antivirus program (2003) disables its monitoring by itself. The icon in the bottom right hand corner has a red cross through it. I go through the options and enable the program to constantly monitor, but when I reboot, it always comes up disabled again. Any help would be appreciated.

JayDay 14:52 09 Jun 2004

Might be a sign of a Virus. Some viruses do things to NAV.

GaT7 15:39 09 Jun 2004

JayDay's suspicions may be right. Try a few online scans to discount this possibility 1. click here
2. click here & 3. click here.

If the problem persists, painful as it sounds, you may have to uninstall/reinstall NAV. Hope you won't need it, but this article will help as a guide & if you encounter problems: Uninstalling and reinstalling Norton AntiVirus 2003 - click here. I usually have many problems whenever I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton products. So, follow instructions & good luck to you if you decide to go down this route.

You can also ask Symantec Support directly for help (this is free) - click here. If you haven't used their system before, click on 'start free online support' on the above link & follow the onscreen instructions. You'll finally be presented with a form to enter the necessary details including a description of your problem. From personal experience they usually reply within 1-3 working days.

Or, some resourceful person here may be able to scour the Symantec knowledge base & provide you with a link. Whatever happens keep us posted on your progress. All the best, G

stugra 15:44 09 Jun 2004

Bit confused here. Will it be possible to use NAV to check if it is infected itself with a virus, if this is the cause of the problem? If not, can anyone advise how to check an antivirus program with an antivirus program please??

stugra 15:48 09 Jun 2004

Crossbow7, thanks, my last post crossed over - will give it a try.

powerless 15:59 09 Jun 2004
  stugra 16:22 09 Jun 2004

Many, many thanks - I went to the Symantec site in search for a solution but couldn't even find their knowledgebase - thanks again, will post here if successful.

GaT7 16:23 09 Jun 2004

There you go! The birthday boy has come to the rescue : ))

Powerless - what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be some place else? Or, do the celebrations begin later? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?