Norton Antivirus 2007

James H 11:36 09 Oct 2006

Morning All

I installed the new Norton CD on my computer. Since installation the computer freezes and the mouse is very erratic. Should I uninstall Norton and reinstall. I have used Norton for a couple of years and had no problems previously.

Thanks

James

Belatucadrus 12:05 09 Oct 2006

Norton appears to be one of those programs which is OK as long as the install routine goes exactly to plan, if it doesn't it's a pig to fix. Try uninstalling, then run a registry cleaner before attempting a reinstall and do shut down as many open programs as you can before the attempt.
If that still doesn't work, you can always use one of the oft recommended freebies like avast! Anti Virus and Kerio firewall.

Angry Kid 14:57 09 Oct 2006

Do as Belatucadrus says and dump Norton. I did some time ago now after having similar problems and have not looked back.

Zone Alarm is an excellent Firewall.

Angry ;)

theDarkness 15:45 09 Oct 2006

my version of zonealarm firewall used to switch off whilst online!- so beware. problems with its truevector service. not just on the one odd pc, and with various versions updated i had the same problem :(

Jimmy14 16:00 09 Oct 2006

first of all disregard "Angry Kid"' comment. I would suggest that you uninstall Norton. Run something like CCleaner then try reinstalling. Have you possibly created system restore points from which you could go back and try and install Norton again and see what happens then?

James

Jackcoms 16:09 09 Oct 2006

"first of all disregard "Angry Kid"' comment"

Er, why?? It's perfectly valid.

Norton is a resource hog and, in any case, what is the point of paying for an AV program when there are perfectly good free ones (Avast, AVG) out there?

I'm also another one who's dumped Norton in favour of Avast and hasn't looked back.

Angry Kid 16:15 09 Oct 2006

"first of all disregard "Angry Kid"' comment"

After being a member of this Forum for quite some time now, I doubt you will find many peeps who will recommend Norton when there are more than adequate free alternatives.

Angry :)

anchor 16:18 09 Oct 2006

The point is that James H has paid good money for Norton AV 2007 and wants to get it to work.

He posted here to get assistance, not to be told he should ditch it. Belatucadrus & Jimmy14 have posted some good advice which hopefully will help.

Pine Man 16:57 09 Oct 2006

Frequently a member asks for advice with Norton products that they have actually just bought. Virtually every time you get the same few people telling that member to dump it and get a free one.

Its a free world and everyone has their opinion about different software but the last thing they want is someone telling them its rubbish - what they actually want is HELP, that's what this forum is for. If you can't help leave the post alone!

sunny staines 18:02 09 Oct 2006

james h

any result yet as my wife is on the verge of gettine nis2007, i have her on hold at present.

Jimmy14 18:25 09 Oct 2006

"Er, why?? It's perfectly valid." QUOTE
Excuse me, it is not a valid comment for someone to suggest to someone needing advice on how to FIX THEIR CURRENT PROGRAM ditch it. I've had this out with a few people on these forums being first to post ditch it ditch it. It will not solve their problem so what is the point in posting? You are already hijacking this thread by questioning my post in which I also gave advice.

QUOTE "Norton is a resource hog and, in any case, what is the point of paying for an AV program when there are perfectly good free ones (Avast, AVG) out there?

I won't waste any more time in taking up time on this thread when someone needs something fixed. If you would like to start a thread on your comment about a resource hog I will happily contribute a factual essay on it.

Angry Kid,
QUOTE"After being a member of this Forum for quite some time now, I doubt you will find many peeps who will recommend Norton when there are more than adequate free alternatives."

Same to you, start your own thread instead of posting no-pointed comments which won't help anyone, and by the way you obviously didn't read "James H"' opening comment because If I bought Norton 2007 and you replied saying ditch it to go for free stuff shall we say then I wouldn't do it. In my eyes I would prefer for my problem with the software I've just bought to be fixed and not pushed to the side.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires