Norton Antivirus 2004 activation

lesbrucepitcaple 09:17 10 Dec 2003

I attempted to activate via phone. Putting in the code by keypad the automatic voice at Symantec on reading back the code numbers replaced a 5 with a 9. after the third attempt clicked Activate later. Then after a few moments "Activation Successful"!i contacted Symantec after navigating their phone options and spoke to a real person. They informed me that if there is no activation warning it will be OK. There is no activation warning so I'm hoping! It does not say much for the antipiracy system! Has anyone had similar problems?

Les

Tog 12:21 10 Dec 2003
  Gaz 25 12:26 10 Dec 2003

Aghh you see, Product Activation!!!!

Gaz 25 04:01 13 Dec 2003

Lets pop this to the top, I have the same prob.

And lets hope SYAMNTEC sort the problem out.

Gaz 25 04:01 13 Dec 2003

It is common.

lesbrucepitcaple 16:45 14 Dec 2003

Thanks for the reply. The AVirus program seems to work OK I just hope it keeps doing so . I have contacted tech support and am waiting a reply. I'm tempted to leave well alone as there are no warning messages: if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Diodorus Siculus 16:59 14 Dec 2003

A relatively small percentage of Symantec customers (less than 0.5 percent according to the firm) were recently affected by a product activation bug. The products involved are Norton
Antivirus 2004, Norton Internet Security 2004, Norton Antispam 2004, and Norton SystemWorks 2004. These programs were incorrectly insisting on a product activation code on each reboot, then finally locking the program so it couldn't be used.
CNET News quoted Del Smith, senior product manager, "We had a problem with the way we were generating a code for a PC configuration. The problem had to do with a specific type of
configuration. It was not related to any specific PC manufacturer."

Symantec has posted a patch to correct the bug:
click here

Tog 12:12 17 Dec 2003

The activation wasn't a problem, but the 22Mb of uppdates I needed to download straight after were a bit of a bind, especially with a 56K modem...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone