Norton anti virus replaced by avg ....now I have g

Fred the flour grader 14:02 21 Oct 2005

I removed Norton yesterday and installed the Free avg product from a link off previous thread.
Now when I start my computer I get a meesage saying a file is not installed and windows needs it to operate.
I have done a step by step boot up and it gets as far as this.
C:\progra~1\symantec\symevnt.386

I think this must be part of the Norton anti-virus 2003 that I removed so will it be safe to just delete it and hope that computer starts ok.

The second part of my question is, avg has installed ok but, when I try to update it I get the following messages

The proxy server failed, please follow these steps
if you use a firewall please ensure the componet avginet is allowed to access.

Make sure the connections parameters are set properly.To open ther configuration dialog go to the AVG control centre/update component

Fred the flour grader 14:04 21 Oct 2005

I am on Blueyonder broadband and am not aware of a firewall and I have not got a clue what a proxy server is

rawprawn 14:08 21 Oct 2005

A) yes you can delete C:\progra~1\symantec\symevnt.386
Getting rid of all Norton files can be a bind.

B) Don't worry about that message, the AVG site is having problems at the moment. That message usually means it's busy, try again later or try a manual download. although there are problems there too at the moment. Don't worry.

splork 14:11 21 Oct 2005

Have a look in Add/Remove Programs and see if there are any entries called Liveupdate, LiveReg or similar, that's part of Norton too. Remove them if you find any.

rawprawn 14:11 21 Oct 2005

Just a question, how did you uninstall Norton, it can be difficult and to do it properly you may have to reinstall and then uninstall again, I don't use Norton but I think there is support on their site for uninstalling their program

Fred the flour grader 14:18 21 Oct 2005

Thanks rawprawn and splork for really fast answers, I always panic a bit when it comes to anti virus stuff. I have rectified the download problem by the "do not use proxy server" in the settings part of the update manager in the download centre.
I uninstalled it by add/remove programs in windows.
I will delete the other file name now...ie C:\progra~....

If I don't reply you know my computer is dead!!!

Well here is hoping

Baz70 14:21 21 Oct 2005

If you have any problems removing symantec software from your system take a look at the symantec site, there are resources to help.

Fred the flour grader 14:29 21 Oct 2005

Thanks guys the problems are now history, thanks for your prompt responses....fred

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires