Norton anti-virus renewal problems

MJL66 11:45 06 Jan 2008

Dear All

I am due to renew my anti-virus software with Norton in the next few days. However, on checking with them, I understand that their new 2008 Norton internet security package is not compatible with my pc. I am currently running the 2007 package ok.

I have a 2005 Mesh 64bit AMD Athlon desktop running Windows XP (SP 2).

I have an outstanding enquiry with McAfee, but would very much appreciate anyone's advice on this subject or if you can suggest any reputable alternatives that will run with my system.

Many thanks all - sorry, am a bit of a novice in these things! I have checked the library but couldn't find any relevant articles.

Thanks again!

Blitzer 12:19 06 Jan 2008

Have you considered using FREE anti-virus and firewall software such as AVG or Avast (anti-virus) and Zone Alarm (firewall)...

AVG FREE - click here

Avast FREE - click here

Zone Alarm FREE - click here

Personally I use the free versions of AVG and Zone Alarm along side spybot to keep my system protected. Again Spybot is also available to use for free, but is more "donation ware" rather than free.

I've also recently tried Ccleaner to remove obsolete files and registry entries after reading good reports about it on here.

Hope this helps. ;-)

amonra 14:49 06 Jan 2008

Why pay for trouble when others are free ?

Ditch Norton, mcAfee etc. and instal AVG or Avast as recommended above.

handy4x 17:41 06 Jan 2008

avg is verry good and you can buy it with firewall included

eedcam 17:55 06 Jan 2008

Ditto to all above plus you'll probably even find you're system runs better than it did with Norton

MJL66 21:02 07 Jan 2008

Thanks guys, many thanks for your help which is much appreciated. Some good food for thought here.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?