Norton Anti Virus Not connecting to Live Update

popali 14:43 10 Oct 2003

I thought I had cracked this one but now i realise I still have the same problem. I have contacted my ISP who say that there is nothing wrong at thier end . Cost£2 phone charges.
I have checked my Internet settings to the best of my ability. (Still a novice) I still get the message that my internet connectoin is probably down yet I am still live to the rest of the network.My Norton Disc is for 98/NT version 4 and I have been running it quite succesful since I purchased My Computer from Time In November 2000.
I already have uninstalled aand re installed the softwear. Should I give up and buy a newer version.......Help [email protected].
Contacting Time is a sore point in this house.

Stuartli 14:59 10 Oct 2003

It sounds as though you have not configured NortonAV to connect to your default ISP.

Don't have NortonAV any more but, from memory, it's quite a straightforward configuration.

Stuartli 15:00 10 Oct 2003

Or another thought is that your LiveUpdate subscription has run out.

smegs 15:05 10 Oct 2003

click here U will be able to get up dates from here. Sorry don't know the answer to this.

smegs 15:19 10 Oct 2003

I have just looked in my Live Update configuration settings & they R as follows:- In the General Tab, it say's HOW DO YOU WANT TO USE LIVEUPDATE? Mines ticked on "Interactive Mode". FTP Tab:- How do you want Liveupdate to use FTP? Mines ticked on "I want to use my Internet Options FTP settings. HTTP Tab:- How do you want Liveupdate to use HTTP? Mines ticked on:- "I want to use my Internet Options HTTP settings". ISP Tab:- Where should Liveupdate get your Internet settings? Mines ticked on:- Customized settings for Liveupdate. Then In the same Tab as ISP, "Use This Dial-Up Networking connection", Mines set to my Broadband modem.

anchor 15:56 10 Oct 2003

Have you ever renewed your subscription to Norton?, you only get 1 year free.

If downloading, and running, the latest exe update from the Norton site given by smegs, and by me below, then I suspect it has run out.

click here

click on download Virus definitions, (intelligent updater only). Then, on the next page that appears click on Download updates. In the next page, download the file that looks something like this: (the latest one).

20031009-007-i32.exe

then run it. If it fails to run, and update, then probably your subscription has run out.

anchor 15:58 10 Oct 2003

I meant to say:

If downloading, and running, the latest exe update from the Norton site given by smegs, (and by me below), fails, then I suspect your subscription has run out.

mark e 16:14 10 Oct 2003

Do you get any error codes displayed if so search symantec's knowledge base for the answer.

Jester2K II 16:17 10 Oct 2003

My Norton Disc is for 98/NT version 4 and I have been running it quite succesful since I purchased My Computer from Time In November 2000.

I would consider that anyway as verison 4 is quite out of date!

Also consider going FREE click here Well supported here.

R4 16:53 10 Oct 2003

Norton are now on version 2003/4..

The Live updater connects and checks your subscription and if out of date it suggests you re subscribe.

You can skip this and get a download anyway

mark e 11:14 11 Oct 2003

Now resolved . My fault hadn,t configered settings after upgrade to daytime tiscali.
petali

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017