Norton Anti-Virus

Forrest76 18:27 04 Feb 2008

Hi, a bit of help please!
My parents got a virus on their computer last week so we decided they should get some anti-virus software for it.
(It's probably easier to say now that I live 100+ miles from my parents and therefore can't have a look at the computer myself).

Anyway, we opted for Norton Internet Security 2008 and followed the link on this website to PC World Business (the link is here - click here
so I ordered it from there, unaware it was the Systems Builder Issue (I didn't even know such a thing existed!).

It was delivered today, with absolutely no instructions on how to install it, I've tried to guide them in a direction but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious they can do to install it.

Have I wasted £30 or is there a way to install it? Sorry if I've confused anyone, I'm just a bit annoyed with myself and am unsure as to what to do.

Thanks,

Mark

Forrest76 18:28 04 Feb 2008

o, and my dad does use his PC for business needs which is why I thought it'd be ok from PC World Business, although he does only use one PC.

RobCharles1981 18:55 04 Feb 2008

Have I wasted £30 or is there a way to install it?

Yep - theres no need to pay for protection where you can get it for free, get your £30 back if you can and follow skidzys advice as from this thread:

click here

Forrest76 19:07 04 Feb 2008

well, we didn't want to do it over the internet as as soon they connected, the virus was scanning all of their files. we've paid the £30 and they've opened the CD, which according to PC World Business means that we can't return it.

thanks anyway, all my anti-virus stuff is free and very good!

Taff™ 07:16 05 Feb 2008

The OEM version really isn`t any different to the retail pack although obviously there aren`t any instructions. You should be able to just insert it in the CD Drive and it should autorun. From there just run through the install routine.

If it doesn`t autorun open Windows Explorer and look for a file called setup.exe (or similar) and double click it. That should give you the user interface to install. Your parents will need to be connected to the internet during the install routine to get the downloadable definition updates and there are several of them, each requiring a reboot. Note also that I recall there is a separate anti-spamming program that can be installed if required. (There was on the retail version I bought last month anyway.

Forrest76 19:18 05 Feb 2008

thank you Taff, I will try to get it sorted for them, fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?