Norton Anti Virus 2006

dawsonc 10:32 07 Feb 2006

I bought a copy of this to replace my copy of Panda that came with the PC. I uninstalled Panda before installing Norton.

Now I get a warning message from Norton Protection Centre, that has a top line title of Urgent Attention....and an explanation mark beside the following statement...."Panda Antivirus Platinum 7 - Your computer is not protected against intruders.

Should I be concerned ? What does this message mean? What action should I take ?

Thank you.

keewaa 10:56 07 Feb 2006

Your Panda probably has some remnants like a security centre that would need removing. If you google "uninstall panda" you should find plenty of advise about how to do it.

Devil Fish 10:59 07 Feb 2006

check program files folder for any reminenents of panda then grab a copy of ccleaner and scan for issues this may help click here

Gongoozler 10:59 07 Feb 2006

This site discusses some of the Panda Titanium remnants that get left behind after an uninstall. I don't know if Panda Platinum is the same click here

961 11:13 07 Feb 2006

Your link seems to want some spondoolicks to view the solution

However removing remaining files and programme folders will probably do the trick

keewaa 11:22 07 Feb 2006

scroll on down 961, it's below the spondoolicks

Gongoozler 11:42 07 Feb 2006

Hi Awesome and 961. When I first looked at the experts-exchange site, it let me view the solution, but now it won't unless I pay. The solution involved removing some registry entries, so "removing remaining files and programme folders" may not be enough. I'll keep looking !

dawsonc 11:56 07 Feb 2006

ok thanks very much

Gongoozler 12:07 07 Feb 2006

This is from click here quoting Panda support.What it fails to say is that you should always backup you system before editing the registry.

""Open the Registry from Start, Run, write REGEDIT, and click on OK. Highlight 'My Computer' at the top of the list, then go to 'Edit' and 'Find'. Type 'panda' into the box and then click on 'Find Next'. This will search the Registry for panda files. When it brings up a folder or file, press 'delete' or right-click on the highlighted file/folder and select 'delete' from the menu to remove it. Then press 'F3' to search again and find the next Panda entry.

Continue to search and delete Panda entries in the Registry until no more entries are found. Then repeat this process, this time searching for 'pav'. When both searches are complete, close the Registry and restart the computer.

Once this operation has been carried out, using Windows Explorer delete the Panda Software folder that is below C:\Program files. You should also delete the following files Windows \system: PAV.SIG, APVXD.VXD, APVXDUT.VXD, PANDA.CHP.""

961 12:22 07 Feb 2006

I was foolish enough to click on "view the solution"

However, it seems to be true that if you scroll down to the bottom of the first page past all the rubbish, the solution is there. For free

Gongoozler 12:28 07 Feb 2006

Strange. First it worked, then it didn't, now it does again. This is the Panda Uninstaller recommended there - but I haven't tested it!! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone