Norton Alerts driving me Nuts

staples printer cartridge 09:33 11 Jun 2005

I have had Norton Internet Security for a couple of years now. When I installed SP2 for XP I disabled the Norton Firewall but kept the anti virus running. My subscription runs out in November. This morning I am suddenly getting an alert from Symantec saying Firewall is turned off and "To prevent duplicate security alerts, use my existing Norton product alerts and turn off redundant Windows Security alerts". I didn't check this box and checked my firewall an lo and behold it was off. I turned it on and restarted. My firewall is now but I get the alert still, every 4 seconds or so. So, before I uninstall Norton and go for something like AVG, anybody got any ideas? It seems to me that my Norton product turned off my firewall and now wants me to use it, but why after nearly a year?

Don3002 09:41 11 Jun 2005

I have got NIS 2004 and I started getting problems with having two firewalls etc. If you configure Norton to 'Manage your Windows Firewall settings' it seems to sort itself out. If you have Norton it seeems to want to be in charge!

staples printer cartridge 09:47 11 Jun 2005

NIS 2003 - but why all of a sudden? I'm going loopy. Also, went to symantec site and they charge £18 to sort it out, although they will refund if it is the products fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?