Norton 360/Orange software conflict

Pineman100 10:53 30 Aug 2007

I'm using a friend's computer in France. He has asked me to install Norton 360 to replace his ageing security software, and I have done this.

He uses Orange for broadband, via ethernet to an Orange Livebox router. When Windows XP SP2 Home launches, a Livebox management window is normally launched and sits on the desktop, allowing the user to select email, internet browsing, Orange account management and so on.

Since I installed 360, every time Windows boots, there's a long "Orange - Please wait..." window, then an error report which says that the Livebox management software must be re-installed.

I've no idea how to sort out this conflict - can anyone please help?

johnnyrocker 10:56 30 Aug 2007

any special reason for going norton route? plenty of good freebies about, that said i would think there may be a firewall configuration that needs setting within norton?

johnny.

Pineman100 13:28 30 Aug 2007

The reason for Norton is that my friend has already bought it.

I don't suppose you have any idea what settings need changing, do you? Firewall settings are a mystery to me!

johnnyrocker 15:59 30 Aug 2007

not familiar myself with it but you may find some use click here=

johnny.

Totally-braindead 16:26 30 Aug 2007

Could you not just try reinstalling the Livebox software?

Pineman100 17:32 30 Aug 2007

Thanks again Johnny. I'll have look at those links.

Thanks for your response T-B. It's a fair question, with a Catch-22 answer.

If I reinstall the Livebox software, the final action needed in the reinstallation process is to restart the computer. And when the computer boots up again, you hit the same wall - the Livebox software won't start up because Norton 360 is in conflict with it! Grrrrr!

I've tried switching off Norton 360's firewall, and then starting the Livebox software, and this works fine. But I can't do that every naffing time!!

johnnyrocker 18:04 30 Aug 2007

it proves that we are on the right track if it works ok without firewall so there must be a configuration in firewall settings to allow livebox to run unhindered.

johnny.

Pineman100 10:19 31 Aug 2007

I'm sure that's correct, Johnny. Trouble is, as far as I'm concerned, firewall settings are written in Swahili. I don't have the faintest idea where to look or what to change. :-(

Pineman100 11:49 31 Aug 2007

...but I've decided to give in on this one. 360 is making the whole machine so slow and unreliable, that I've uninstalled it.

However, I welcome any thoughts you have on my revised plan: click here

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?