Norton 360 V3 Intrusion Prevention failed to load

compumac 22:19 01 Aug 2010

Friend has XP SP3 with Norton 360 V3 installed. She has a problem that when booting up a Norton dialogue box comes up with "Intrusion Prevention failed to load Error Code 0x80010203". She is able to connect to the internet and accesses her e-mail in Outlook and then the PC screen goes off completely, and the lights on the wired keyboard are extinguished,and the PC would not subsequently boot up at all. I have had the PC at my home without the internet connected and was able to boot up OK ignoring the Intrusion Prevention box, then checked for virus antimalware and ran AWC and CCleaner. I have been able over a two day period to boot and reboot upwards of fifty times using all of the PC's different applications without a problem.
She took the PC home connected to the internet accessed her e-mail and was back to the resulting black screen. I realise that the problem emanates from Norton 360 and that it will need uninstalling and then re-istalling. The problem is that it is Version 3.0 and she does not have the CD, seemingly having downloaded the original and installed directly from the internet. I have looked on the internet to download Version 3 intending to use her existing licence but find that only version 4 is avalable. I have suggested that we remove Norton 360 completely and replace it with A N Other. Any comments out there?

northumbria61 22:41 01 Aug 2010

Follow this LINK - click here

1. Click SUPPORT - the Customer Support
2. Click DOWNLOADS & ORDERS
3. Click I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DOWNLOAD MY PURCHASE
4. Click I WANT TO RE-DOWNLOAD MY NORTON PRODUCT
5. Follow the Instructions

**If you have a Norton 2005 product or its previous version purchased more than a year ago, you will not be able to redownload the product.

If you have a Norton 2006 product or its later version, please follow the steps to save your Product Key, and then redownload the product.**

northumbria61 22:48 01 Aug 2010

You could also take a look here and see if anything helps - click here

**Note - I am NOT a Norton User - many years ago for a trial period but gave it up with too many problems - however that is not to say it is not a good product as I am sure there are many users out there who like it - it's personal choice - if it works then you keep it **

compumac 22:53 01 Aug 2010

northumbria61
It is not my choice either. I have recommended something different. Will speak with her tomorrow and discuss further. Thanks for input.

sunnystaines 08:42 02 Aug 2010

if she notes her serial key, then downloads version 4. its a free update till the licence expires. the newer version might help.

compumac 08:55 02 Aug 2010

I personally kicked Norton into touch years ago due to the great number of problems with it, although it does seem that some anti Norton people
are giving it more credence. I have a laptop that will be formatted shortly and a complete revamp made and I did think that I might contemplate Norton 360 V4. The question is how does 360 compare with others of its kind?

sunnystaines 13:05 02 Aug 2010

i like norton 360 v4 only snag is that their is a software clash with iobit software. resulting in iobit disabling norton each time you boot the pc.

the fault only seems to effect xp.

compumac 17:38 02 Aug 2010

northumbia61
Your link spot on.
sunnystaines
Youe were correct. Version 4 installed and all working fine now. Thanks for input

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?