Norton 360 keeps finding same threats.

Sapins 08:15 28 Mar 2010

Norton keeps finding the same Adware.Aureate file and 5 tracking cookies. This morning after the computer was not used at all overnight there they were again. Can anyone tell me why this is happening please?

Taff™ 08:38 28 Mar 2010

Where exactly does it find them? For example, if you have another anti-malware program such as Asquared that has quarantined these cookies Norton probably can`t delete them. That`s my theory anyway!

birdface 08:55 28 Mar 2010

Maybe download update and run the free version of Malwarebytes and see if it finds any problems.
Like Taff say's it could be something quarantined in one of your other security programs.

click here

sunnystaines 09:46 28 Mar 2010

Malwarebytes does not go after cookies, but is still very good I would run its free version on full scan.
To chase tracking cookies run a full scan with SAS free version

sas........click here

Malwarebytes......click here

I have norton 360 v4 not getting any problems,have you set it to FIX as default is to report them?

Sapins 10:01 28 Mar 2010

Thanks for your replies, I have to go out now and I will follow your advice later today,

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 22:00 28 Mar 2010

Well, here's what happened;

I installed and ran Malawarebytes which found 3 problems;

Rogue Installer in C\programme files\setup.exe

Rogue Installer in Registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICRO

Fake Dropped.Mal in C\Windows\System32\k86.bin

I then ran SAS which found 27 Tracking Cookies and 1 Rogue Installer/Trace. I deleted all of these but when I went to close SAS it said it was still scanning so I paused it and decided to post what had happened on here, when nothing happened I opened Task Manager and the computer immediately froze, I had to use the re-start button and it took 12 minutes to start up. I then removed Norton and had to re-start again, this time it took 7 minutes. I am going to do full scans with SAS and Malawarebytes, probably tomorrow. I just might put Norton on then and do a scan with it, but then again I might not as I am thoroughly fed up with the hassle.

Anyway, thank you all for your help, I will post again to this thread if there is anything worth posting!

Regards,

Now bald! Sapins

Graham. 22:28 28 Mar 2010

They may be hiding in System Restore. Turn SR off, run the scans, if all clear turn SR back on and set a Restore point.

Sapins 18:46 29 Mar 2010

Spot on. Followed your advice and all is working OK. Malawarebytes scan was clear, but, SAS found 229 tracking cookies! and one other threat which was Rogue.Installer,the path was C:\WINDOWS\system32\trend.bin.

I may! now re-install Norton, after I run things for a short while.

Regards,

Sapins.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:06 29 Mar 2010

Tracking cookies are harmless.

G

Sapins 22:04 29 Mar 2010

Glad to hear it, I seem to get enough of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache