Norton 2006 - will it detect previous versions

Diggory 20:38 14 Mar 2006

Guys - have bought copy of Norton Internet Security 2006 and thought would check forums before loading. Kind of wish I had done this in reverse order now have seen what you think of it. That said, currently run Internet Security 2004 and Ghost 9.0 on XP Pro without problems.

Q: will I have to first uninstall Internet Security 2004 using SymNRT. As this strips out Norton traces from Registry will this also uninstall Ghost at same time.

Cheers D:-)

Jaro 20:55 14 Mar 2006

i think you should definitely uninstall old norton antivirus but it could be a litle bit tricky. you can find a lot of artickles about how to get rid of norton antivirus. its actualy an their website.

dont know about ghost but i think you will have to uninstall it separately. just use control panel/add and remove prog. than you can try to load new program hope u have good comp othervise your comp will be slowed down by norton. i dont say its not good program i have used it before but wouldnt use it again.

good luck and if any probs just post back

remind 20:57 14 Mar 2006

Seeing as no-one else has volunteered an answer yet; I don't know if Norton will detect an older version, but I do know that when a Norton install goes wrong it can make a real mess of your PC. I would remove the older package first just to be on the safe side.
You should only need to use SymNRT if you're having a problem removing either package in the normal way. If you don't use it, you will only need to un-install Internet Security.

Quote from the SymNRT blurb;

"Section 1: Can I use SymNRT?
Use SymNRT only if one or both of these situations applies to you:

* You have tried to uninstall the Norton program using Windows Add/Remove Programs and that did not work.
* You were instructed to use it by another Symantec document or a Symantec Technical Support technician.

Programs that SymNRT can remove
SymNRT removes these--and only these--Norton programs:

* Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005/2006
* Norton AntiVirus Professional 2004
* Norton AntiVirus 3, 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005/2006
* Norton GoBack 3.1/3.5/3.6/4.0/4.1
* Norton SystemWorks 2004/2005 Professional Edition
* Norton SystemWorks 2005/2005/2006 Premier
* Norton SystemWorks 2006
* Norton SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition
* Norton Password Manager 2004
* Norton Internet Security 2004/2005/2006
* Norton Internet Security 5 and 10 User Pack 2004/2005/2006
* Norton Personal Firewall 2004/2005/2006
* Norton AntiSpam 2004/2005
* Norton Ghost 2003/9.0/10.0"

sunny staines 10:58 15 Mar 2006

I always unistall through add/remove programs in the control panel. then install from the CD. Most install problems with norton arise by updating on line or from trial based norton programs instead of from a CD.

Danoh 11:18 15 Mar 2006

I agree with sunny staines. I don't know what all the fuss is about w.r.t. NIS from regular and knowledgeable forumites.
I agree that NIS' bloat sucks power from your PC's processor, but I've not run it on any PC which has been sufficiently underpowered enough to have it affect work noticeably.

Main purpose of NIS is anti-virus and firewall; it does that consistently well, perhaps not the top but definitely always in the top rankings. It also does much of its work less intrusively then some other products.

I seem to recall that my previous installations of NIS did detect previous versions, stopped and recommended that I uninstalled first.
So its probably safer to uninstall just NIS 2004 first (Add/remove pgms) before installing NIS 2006. There is no need to run SymNRT beforehand as that is only to fix a botched installation.

Pine Man 18:29 15 Mar 2006

I did exactly what you want to do a few weeks ago and updated from NIS2004 to NIS2006. I also had Ghost installed.

Leave everything exactly as it is and follow the installation advice on screen from NIS2006.

It won't take too long to do and afterwards both NIS2006 and Ghost will (should) work perfectly.

I had no problems whatsoever and I am very pleased with the new version despite all the sceptics out there who slate Norton products.

Bite the bullet and go for it!

Diggory 20:12 15 Mar 2006

Guys - thanks all for taking timeout to reply.
What a great forum and what a varied response. Hadn’t realised that SymNRT was disaster recovery mode.

Pine Man - Encouraged you’ve been there & done it without Calamity :-). Did the on-screen instruction say uninstall from control panel first.

Maybe NIS2006 aint so bad after all

D:-)

Pine Man 12:10 16 Mar 2006

From memory - it was uninstalled by the NIS 2006 installation process - if that makes sense! I seem to remember it saying something like "An older version has been found and will be deleted" or something like that.

You will find it quite a bit different from 2004 but I have found it straightforward enough and it works perfectly, as have all the versions I have used going back about 15 years!

Diggory 20:14 16 Mar 2006

Pine Man et al

Ta muchly

Will have a go this weekend - will post back to let you know how I got on

D:-)

Diggory 20:57 19 Mar 2006

Dear All – TVM advice, did the upgrade and all seemed to go smoothly. However, did take the cautious route and unloaded NIS2004 from control panel first (not as brave as Pine Man). Only glitch was that I could not initially connect to Symantec server so had to activate by phone – not recommended.

All was fine until I tried to check my emails - Outlook POP3 no longer able to connect to mail server (worked fine NIS2004). Tried the NIS support centre - seemingly a common problem (about third on their list) but the help was not helpful. Mainly consisted of an on-line tool that told me everything was okay. Seeing as this is a common problem wondered if any of you guys have come across this.

Cheers

D:-(

woodchip 21:09 19 Mar 2006

It will pick up old in Registry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?