Nortn Ghost 9.0 - any advise pls

Diggory 20:04 14 Jun 2005

Some advice pls - have bought a second HDD (Seagate 120GB SATA, same as source HDD), LG4263 DVD/CD writer and Norton Ghost9.0. Plan was to back-up my data to second HDD + to DVD (RAM) as belt & braces. Having now seen that I can image the entire HDD (OS & all) I am wondering if I should do this.

1. Is it easy to image the HDD to a second SATA

2. Norton suggests that you should not format / partition new HDD – does this work okay

3. I have got 4 partitions on source HDD – will this cause grief

4. Can I do an incremental HDD image

5. Can the imaged HHD just sit there as non boot drive

6. Any SP2 issues (XP Pro)

Cheers,

D:-)

mattyc_92 20:09 14 Jun 2005

1) Yes

2) Please explain more what you mean

3) No

4) Yes, provided that the media is Re-Writable like the partition or re-writable DVD-RAMs/DVD-RWs

5) Yes

6) Not as I know of, but I have stopped using Ghost and gone onto Acronis True Image

keith-236785 21:39 14 Jun 2005

6) i use ghost 9 with XP Pro & SP2, i dont have any problems with it.

i recently re-installed winxp from scratch, once set up i made a Ghost image, within three weeks i had used the image to recover from a problem, so in my eyes YES it is well worth creating an image.

where you choose to store it is up to you, in my case it is a dvd, but there is no reason not to use a H/D partition.

Diggory 08:27 15 Jun 2005

Both - thanks for advice.

mattyc_92 - re Q2, just surprised to read in gde that when you fit new HDD you are ready to go, do not format !

SATA: Am I right in thinking that HDD imaging should be easier as no need to worry about the master / slave bit - just need to identify boot disk in bios

SP2 thing is a bit confussing - looked on the Symantec support site and found an SP2 fix. Searched the forum and cant find any refs to problems.

Cheers,

mattyc_92 09:16 15 Jun 2005

Ok so question 2 is:

You CAN format a new drive if you wish, but you can restore the partition onto it without formatting, so short answer is "Up to you"

Ancient Learner 13:27 15 Jun 2005

I use Ghost 9 with varying degrees of success.

I have 2HDs each with 4 partitions. One partition on each is for Ghost images of 3 drives from the other HD. These I auto programme as incrementals quite OK.

However my 'C' drive content is over 10GBs and that needs 2 DVDs to do it that way. One DVD is works fine, butthe second just will not. Have a look at my threads at click here. I am still waitin for Symantec to tell me how to do it, dispite reminding them only yesterday.

CurlyWhirly 14:14 15 Jun 2005

[QUOTE]You CAN format a new drive if you wish, but you can restore the partition onto it without formatting, so short answer is "Up to you"[/QUOTE]

I didn't know this as I always thought that you had to format a new hard drive first!
That's handy to know.

mattyc_92 19:48 15 Jun 2005

Thats right... As the imaging software does a "quick" format or just does that "delete" partitions instead, so there is no real need to format. But I do as it intends to help the system's performance for one reason or another... lol

Diggory 08:45 16 Jun 2005

Guys - thanks.

Ancient Learner - I have read your threads, all I can say is that I wish I had not unwrapped the software or I would send it back (doh!) & then the Radified.com link........ D:-(

I suspect that after having paid >£30 (grumble grumble) I will press on with fingers crossed. That said, I will fit the LG4163 drive and take some copies of my personal data to DVD RAM before I start messing about with Ghost9.0 - just in case.

Just a thought - when I built the PC I looked at the MOBO RAID instructions and thought yeah, yeah do that later – hindsight. If I bought a third HDD (ie 2xnew identical SATAs)could I image on to a Raid1 array ........& make Ghost9.0 redundant.

PS: (How do you do links in these posts ?)

Brian-336451 08:51 16 Jun 2005

Just copy and paste the relevant URL into this window when you type - that'll be your link

Diggory 08:16 17 Jun 2005

Brian,

was meaning the hyper-linked words like "click here" where the URL is not shown (unless you hover over it)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?