Is normal usb the same as usb2?

triflesterms 09:45 25 Nov 2005

Hi

Im looking to buy an ipod but its usb2, would i be able to use my ipod with noraml usb?

Thanx
Steve

MAJ 09:52 25 Nov 2005

Yes, but the transfer speeds will be a lot slower on "normal" (USB1.1) USB.

driving man 09:54 25 Nov 2005

quite often not, but how old is your system ie are you on XP ? if so you have USB 2 by default. Just make sure that if you use a hub that it is usb 2 not 1. You can use a USB 1 hub bub then your USB 2 slows down to USB 1. basic hubs are not expensive (around £4 powered hubs come in at £8 or so . I use one which can be got through net from click here

triflesterms 10:00 25 Nov 2005

Im using xp pro, whats a hub bub?
Do you mean buy a usb 2 hub for my pc?

Thanx

MAJ 10:04 25 Nov 2005

XP doesn't have USB2 by default, it wont turn a USB1.1 port into a USB2 port, XP has USB2 support by default. If your computer doesn't have USB2 ports then you will need to buy a PCI-USB2 card and install that card in a spare PCI slot.

Khufu 10:13 25 Nov 2005

how do you know which are which? or is that a daft question

GroupFC 10:31 25 Nov 2005

No question is daft!

To see if you have usb 2.0, go to my computer>right click>properties>hardware>device manager and you should see usb controllers. If you expand that if you have USB 2.0 it should show up as "enhanced".

driving man 11:15 25 Nov 2005

MAJ is so much more eloquent than I and so explained it better. A hub bub is what you get with a cordless keyboard that can't or won't keep up with my typing. I suspect it's "won't" as all things mechanical are out to get me this week including the car

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017