None of my usb ports seem to be working

Halmer 08:00 18 Apr 2009

My HP printer failed to work last night.

I have had a look this morning and worked out that none of my usb ports seem to be responding at all.

I have an XP PC. I'm not sure when this happened because I don't use the printer too often. The only thing that I recall doing recently is installing XP SP3 and some critical updates.

I have tried system restore without success.

There are no yellow exclamation marks in device manager.

Thanks for any help.

H

Technotiger 09:17 18 Apr 2009

Go into device manager and expand the USB section. Un-install ALL USB items listed. Re-start your computer and the ports should all be working again.

Halmer 09:29 18 Apr 2009

I've tried that without success.

Thanks.

Technotiger 09:35 18 Apr 2009

Hmm that's unusual. Have you tried a System restore back to yesterday, or the day before, when they were working?

smoking44 10:16 18 Apr 2009

A friend of mine had the same problem a few weeks ago. Tried re-install drivers, system restore all to no success. A good test of the usb is to plug in a usb mouse/or simalar that has a light. Turn of pc but leave power plug on, if usb's are working then power/light would show if not then like my friend the usb's are blown (it happens). If in doubt you can do a OS re-install (format drive) but if still no usb's then as above (blown). My friend took his pc to a shop when it was confirmed the usbs had blown, solution was to have a usb card installed.

Halmer 11:12 18 Apr 2009

to no avail.

Looks like I will have to consider a recovery.

My lad needs to print his homework off so I tried to get the HP printer to work through the network router. For some reason it doesn't work and the network connection is not recognised by the printer.

I've started a data backup anyway regardless as this is worthwhile.

I attached my old modem to the front usb and get nothing light wise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?