Non Record

brindly 18:03 03 Jan 2010

My CD/DVD drive won't record, It can read DVDs and CDs and it will burn DVDs but not Audio VDDs or CD. I have tried it in several programs, Recordit, Windows Meadia Player Any Ideas?

brindly 18:18 03 Jan 2010

Sorry, I should have added that they won't recognise a blank disc. Keeps ejecting with the message please insert a blank disc, which I have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 03 Jan 2010

first try an uninstall and reinstall of the drive in device manager (may be conflicting drivers)

brindly 08:17 04 Jan 2010

Thanks for your response Fruit Bat

How do I re install the driver? I don't have any discs other than the recovery discs I made when the computer was new.

tullie 09:03 04 Jan 2010

Just reboot the computer after you have uninstalled it,its a generic driver and windows will reinstall at reboot.

brindly 14:59 04 Jan 2010

Hi, Thanks for that I will try it and get back to you. I will either be happy or????

brindly 15:19 04 Jan 2010

Sorry Fruit Bat and Tulliem didn't fix it. I uninstalled and re booted and re booted again afyer windows asked. Tried to record audio, same thing. Pleas insert Blank Disc. any more ideas please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 04 Jan 2010

"It can read DVDs and CDs and it will burn DVDs"

Sounds like the CD write laser or laser alignment hs failed.

At less than £20 for a new DVD RW drive they are'nt worth messing with.

brindly 17:39 04 Jan 2010

Thanks both and yes you are right, the problem is though I have a vaio VGC V2S desktop and Sony won't give out the instructions on how to open it up so I have to take it to a teccy and at £40 per hr plus vat. Still no use if it doesn't work. I will mark this as resolved. Thanks again and a Happy New Year.

Woolwell 17:52 04 Jan 2010

Perhaps an external drive as an additional burner?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 04 Jan 2010

# Shut down the computer, unplug it, remove any peripheral devices.
# Wait for the computer to cool down.
# With the main unit's back panel facing you, slide the back panel up until you cannot go any further.As you slide the back panel up, a 'button' appears (middle of the back of your computer).
# When you push this button, you can remove the back panel completely.
# Set the cover aside.

manual click here

this for a V2M click here;jsessionid=D8CF284A2F175E07DA5795C6DD70B42F.carth-onasi?thread=52466&printall=yes maybe similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone