Non Record

brindly 18:03 03 Jan 2010

My CD/DVD drive won't record, It can read DVDs and CDs and it will burn DVDs but not Audio VDDs or CD. I have tried it in several programs, Recordit, Windows Meadia Player Any Ideas?

brindly 18:18 03 Jan 2010

Sorry, I should have added that they won't recognise a blank disc. Keeps ejecting with the message please insert a blank disc, which I have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 03 Jan 2010

first try an uninstall and reinstall of the drive in device manager (may be conflicting drivers)

brindly 08:17 04 Jan 2010

Thanks for your response Fruit Bat

How do I re install the driver? I don't have any discs other than the recovery discs I made when the computer was new.

tullie 09:03 04 Jan 2010

Just reboot the computer after you have uninstalled it,its a generic driver and windows will reinstall at reboot.

brindly 14:59 04 Jan 2010

Hi, Thanks for that I will try it and get back to you. I will either be happy or????

brindly 15:19 04 Jan 2010

Sorry Fruit Bat and Tulliem didn't fix it. I uninstalled and re booted and re booted again afyer windows asked. Tried to record audio, same thing. Pleas insert Blank Disc. any more ideas please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 04 Jan 2010

"It can read DVDs and CDs and it will burn DVDs"

Sounds like the CD write laser or laser alignment hs failed.

At less than £20 for a new DVD RW drive they are'nt worth messing with.

brindly 17:39 04 Jan 2010

Thanks both and yes you are right, the problem is though I have a vaio VGC V2S desktop and Sony won't give out the instructions on how to open it up so I have to take it to a teccy and at £40 per hr plus vat. Still no use if it doesn't work. I will mark this as resolved. Thanks again and a Happy New Year.

Woolwell 17:52 04 Jan 2010

Perhaps an external drive as an additional burner?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 04 Jan 2010

# Shut down the computer, unplug it, remove any peripheral devices.
# Wait for the computer to cool down.
# With the main unit's back panel facing you, slide the back panel up until you cannot go any further.As you slide the back panel up, a 'button' appears (middle of the back of your computer).
# When you push this button, you can remove the back panel completely.
# Set the cover aside.

manual click here

this for a V2M click here;jsessionid=D8CF284A2F175E07DA5795C6DD70B42F.carth-onasi?thread=52466&printall=yes maybe similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache