A non functioning ps/2 mouse

MIKE. 21:40 19 Sep 2006

I have a pal who is having problems with his ps2 optical mouse on a windows XP home machine it simply refuse to function. I tried an additional optical mouse which also refuses to function. When he use's a USB mouse optical mouse every thing seems too function ok. I suspect it could be a faulty mobo ps/2 connection, do you folks have any other idea as to what I should look for.

terryf 21:41 19 Sep 2006

try the mouse on another machine

Jackcoms 21:46 19 Sep 2006

"I tried an additional optical mouse which also refuses to function. When he use's a USB mouse optical mouse every thing seems too function ok. I suspect it could be a faulty mobo ps/2 connection"

In these 3 sentences you've answered your own question

rodriguez 21:49 19 Sep 2006

PS/2 connections on motherboards do happen, most of the time it's because the of dry jointing. Try taking the motherboard out and have a look at the solder that connects the PS/2 socket to the board. If it's come loose then that's your problem and it can probably be resoldered. Sometimes the sockets can also just stop working. Both PS/2 sockets on my dad's machine have stopped working so now he just uses a USB keyboard and mouse.

rodriguez 21:50 19 Sep 2006

PS the first word in my previous post should be "loose".

MIKE. 22:19 19 Sep 2006

Hi lads thanks for your thoughts regarding mouse, glad your views concur with mine re mobo fault. Some times we just need to be convinced by some one else's input. Again thanks for all your help great PCA group.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?