non-emulation booting

mousel 16:29 02 Jul 2007

trying to reload XP with a new hard disc - it only gets as far as "non-emulating booting" message then seems to stop accessing the cd. Any help please?

brundle 16:49 02 Jul 2007

Have you used the that particular drive to boot from CD before? Do you have two optical drives?

mousel 17:31 02 Jul 2007

Yes - the drive works but never had to reload before. I have only one cd drive on this laptop. I've tried using original 're-load' cd's but with no success.

brundle 17:43 02 Jul 2007

How old is the laptop? Can you connect a floppy drive to it? If it won't boot a CD (very unusual) you can start the XP install process with a bootable floppy.

mousel 11:03 03 Jul 2007

Thanks for reply - Laptop is Time 'Platina', vintage '03. I've got (somewhere)a usb/floppy drive. I've downloaded bootable floppies and will transfer later and try that. Had hd failure on new HP 7755 - replaced this am by Tech Guy and am setting that up. He said may need "Tattoo" ?

brundle 00:20 04 Jul 2007

The tatoo is the motherboard/OS/hard-drive stamp, a way of fixing a specific OS installation to a particular machine. click here

IF you can boot from a floppy and access the CD drive, insert your XP CD, locate and run WINNT.exe on the CD to start the install process - it will be in the I386 folder.

mousel 02:02 04 Jul 2007

Thank you. I have got up and running by using floppies, formatted the new hd and loaded xp but it then asks for 'service pack 1' cd. It will not accept sp2 on cd. Any more thoughts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?