Non booting pc

alexgray104 17:35 02 Feb 2006

During a Powercut, the PC switched off (obviously). However on the return of power the computer will not boot proplerly. It gets up to the stage of start windows normally, boot with command prompt etc etc and when you select an option it justs reboots and returns to the same point. The system was XP Pro before this happened.

rawprawn 17:47 02 Feb 2006

Try Tapping F8 on boot and select last known good configuration

alexgray104 17:52 02 Feb 2006

Thank you for the tip, have tried and all the options freeze or reboot the pc. Including start windows normally, start with networking, start with command prompt and last known good congiguration.

alexgray104 20:19 04 Feb 2006

anybody...?

Ray5776 20:30 04 Feb 2006

May sound silly but try switching it off at the wall socket & leaving for a few hours then switch back on & reboot. Good luck, I have known this to work.

Ray

alexgray104 20:33 04 Feb 2006

Thanks Ray, will do and report back in a few hours. I'm currently using an old Toshiba laptop on win 98 first edition - I want my XP back!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 04 Feb 2006

Switch off at socket hold in power button for 4 secs switch back on at socket and reboot.

(Thread recently about this)

If doesn't work then a repair install is probably needed.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

Ray5776 23:20 04 Feb 2006

back to this hold in the power button nonesense I see, this time 4secs.
ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?