noisy pc

YAMA 08:12 07 May 2008

please help with this one. the pc has started to sound noisy, sound like well loud air,like as if something wants a bit of oil, ,so is there away of getting it to run nice and quite, regards yama

€dstowe 08:23 07 May 2008

Most likely the bearings on the cooling fan(s).

Open the case up and make a "stethoscope" from rolled up paper and you should be able to see which fan is causing the problem.

It isn't worth trying to oil the offending fan, they are very cheap to buy new. If it is the heatsink fan, make sure you get on to match the heatsink you are using. Case fans are fairly standard, provided you get one the right size. Fitting should be obvious but ensure the direction of airflow is correct and matches the one already installed. There is an arrow pointer on all fans to indicate the direction of flow.

It could, of course, be the hard drive that is making the noise. In this case, make a full backup of your system immediately as it may happen (as it has done to me in the past) that when you shutdown, that is the last time to drive will run.

€dstowe 08:24 07 May 2008

"Open the case up and make a "stethoscope" from rolled up paper and you should be able to see which fan is causing the problem."

That, of course should be "hear which fan - - -"

FatboySlim71 08:26 07 May 2008

It could be one of the fans in your PC, it may have become clogged up with fluff/dirt or it may be worn and about to give up, as far as wanting a bit of oil I am not sure if you can drop a bit of oil in them.

If you can take the side of the PC off (after you have unplugged it) try to determine which one of the fans is producing the noise. Also give the fans a clean out (with an artist's paint brush or make up brush) if you notice that they are clogged up with fluff and see if that sorts your problem.

A good tip I heard on this forum once was, if it is hard to determine which one of the fans is producing the noise then roll a sheet of paper up and put one end of it on the body of the fan and the other in your ear.

FatboySlim71 08:29 07 May 2008

I need to type faster lol.

golfpro 08:46 07 May 2008

My PC has been making noises like this for a long time now and its not old. Funny though it seems to be worst when its cold (outside that is). But it only lasts until the boot-up is finished and then its OK.
If I shut it down and restart after about five minuets its as quiet as mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?