Noisy fan before Windows Loads

daba 18:33 24 Dec 2006

Hi, Merry Xmas to you all.

My W2K PC (Asus A7N8X) has a fan that sounds a bit like a motor-boat until Windows starts to Load, then the noise just disappears to a normal fan noise. Presumably some sort of speed controller is brought into action at this point.

Does anyone know why this is, and if it is possible to possible to silence the motro-boat?

woodchip 18:39 24 Dec 2006

It's the COLD plus it needs "one spot" of light oil under the Label on the fan

daba 19:06 24 Dec 2006

I thought that at first woodchip, but I don't beleive its the cold, it does it if I shut the PC down, then immediately power it up again, so it would be nice and warm at that time.

And it goes "quiet" just about the same time as the Windows GUI is loading, which makes me think something is grabbing control of the fan. I think it's too much of a coincidence for the bearings to stop rattling at the same time every boot-up.

john-232317 19:38 24 Dec 2006

I had a similar thing, almost like it was going too fast but then when the graphics loaded it was ok. The bad news is my motherboard has just thrown a wobbly.

I have the same problem with my Asus A7A266E makes a terrible din and runs at 2000 rpm them ramps ups to 4500. (Data from Asus probe)

Technotiger 19:44 24 Dec 2006

Hi, hope you have everything backed-up, might the noise be coming from your hard-drive?

daba 20:00 24 Dec 2006

That thought that had not crossed my mind, Tecnotiger. Backup's - what are them then ? (lol).

But amdram has discovered it is fan speed related, so at least I'm not alone with this problem.

I'll load up Asus probe and confirm amdram's findings, then perhaps have a dig round the BIOS to see if there's a default fan setting that I could alter.

In the meantime if anyone already knows the answer.............

BT 08:07 25 Dec 2006

The fan on my Advent winds up as Windows loads then slows right down. It speeds up when doing intensive stuff like Video processing, so its obviously responding to some sort of sensor measuring temperature or something.

Belatucadrus 12:44 25 Dec 2006

Could be an indication that a fan bearings on its way out, I've had them rattling like mad until they get up to speed and then balance out. I usually take it as a sign that replacement is required ASAP.

Forum Editor 13:17 25 Dec 2006

a dodgy fan bearing. The rattling will be worse as the fan bearing tries to stabilise, and will calm down once the GUI loads and the processor is working less intensively.

I would replace it if I were you, just to be on the safe side, it's an inexpensive and quick fix.

daba 22:01 26 Dec 2006

'tis done, replaced. I'll wait and see if the repair is successful at next cold boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?