Noisy Fan at Start Up

JJ28 14:28 30 Dec 2006

I have an ECS PF22 Extreme motherboard. The PC itself is only four months old. The Northbridge controller fan has suddenly become noisy at start up, the noise usually stops after about ten minutes and the system purrs along again quite happily for hours.

I've brushed out the small amount of dust from all of the fans and sprayed compressed air onto the controller fan, but still it starts up noisily.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Many Thanks!

Gongoozler 14:35 30 Dec 2006

If this is bearing rumble, then it's not to be unduly concerned about, but it shouldn't happen at 4 months old. The noise is usually caused by bearing wear, and doesn't normally happen for a year or two.
For an older computer, I would suggest trying to get some lubricant into the bearing (making a small hole in the centre of the housing and applying a drop of oil) or replacing the fan. For such a new computer this should be fixed under warranty.

golfpro 14:48 30 Dec 2006

I have the same thing, my PC is also only 4 months old, this has only just started (the last two or three days), one day at boot up I get the noise, the next nothing. From reading the posts I think a lot of people are having the same thing.

Belatucadrus 14:48 30 Dec 2006

click here You could try one of these, by nature silent and never going to have problems with dickey bearings.

terryf 14:53 30 Dec 2006

I recently fitted an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatpipe cooler that is controlled by the mobo and except for startup during booting, as soon as the mobo takes control of the fan speed, I can hardly hear it

JJ28 21:49 30 Dec 2006

Thank you for the replies! Much appreciated.

I don't think I'm up to replacing the fan myself or to fitting the fanless widget!

I still have eight months warranty left with this machine, but am reluctant to return it again.

A) Because the box is battered.

B) Because when it was returned, after having a faulty HDD replaced, it wouldn't boot because the SATA cable was loose and, when I sussed that out, I had to brave the BIOS to find out that the first boot was set to USB because it wouldn't boot with a peripheral attached.

C) Because I was more or less alone, Tech Support wise.

Personally I have learnt a lot, tech-wise, with the whole debacle.I'm not sure what to do now. I don't want to negate the guarantee but I don't want to have to send it back either.

Not much help I know!

Thank you for reading!

terryf 00:35 31 Dec 2006

Fitting an arctic cooler is very simple click here= to be able to download the install instructions

golfpro 09:02 31 Dec 2006

For some reason mine hasn't had this problem (if it is a problem) for a week now, it seems to have stopped.

Pamy 09:54 31 Dec 2006

terryf, Isn't the Arctic cooler you recommend for a CPU, not the Northbridge chip?

Gongoozler 10:14 31 Dec 2006

Hi Pamy. Can you tell me the size of the fan on your Northbridge chip? Most are 40mm square.

Pamy 10:35 31 Dec 2006

Gongoozler, just had the side off my tower to look, I would estimate it to be about 30mm sq.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone