Noisy computer

daisy2bell 11:29 22 Sep 2006

Sometimes my computer is making a noise as I can only describe as a "creaking door" ( when you open a door and the hinges need oiling.
It's not all the time.
XP home sp2, Intel Pentium 4, 2.93 GHz, 512 MB
Used space 12.5 GB Free space 132 GB.
Any suggestions please. It is a Compaq Presarion approx 2 years old.
All the usual tests done regulary ie:
AVG,Adaware, spybot,Advanved windows care,a-squared,CCleaner,CWShredder,Registry Mechanic,Windows defender,Spywareblaster,Regscrub. All updated regulary, including windows updates.

Belatucadrus 11:36 22 Sep 2006

It could be a variety of things, from a cooling fan with a worn bearing to the hard drive. Either way you need to pin it down first before deciding what to do about it. You probably need to open the case and use that high tech instrument the cardboard tube "Stethoscope" to pinpoint the culprit.
I'd also suggest an immediate backup of all data and mail, just in case it is the hard drive bearing.

steve12345 12:20 22 Sep 2006

Check if the sound is coming from the speakers first. Do you use a chatroom or something similar? It could be a sound to tell you someone has entered or left the chatgroup.

daisy2bell 07:59 23 Sep 2006

Thanks Belatucadrus, I'll give the "high tech" ( lol) soloution a try when I have a quiet moment.

Thanks Steve12345: Don't use chat rooms, and speakers are always switched off unless I need them

Sorry in the delay in replying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone