Noisy computer

lintony 20:48 27 Jan 2004

Since upgrading to Norton 2004, when I turn on my computer and it is loading Windows, it is very noisy. Any idea what this can be and how can I stop it?

bremner 20:50 27 Jan 2004

Can you be more specific about where is the noise coming from - is it for example the hard drive, a fan, CD Rom ?

y_not 20:51 27 Jan 2004

I'm no expert but I think its the HDD searching for the data.

Might be worth starting by defragging it to speed this up.

Sure others will have additional ideas

lintony 08:33 28 Jan 2004

Bremner

It's not the fan so must be the hard drive.

Stuartli 08:48 28 Jan 2004

If the noise is louder than in the past from the HDD it could be a sign that it is on its way out.

For peace of mind I would take a backup ASAP.

If, by any chance, it is a fan (or fans), taking it out, carefully removing the bearing's cover and putting in a drop or two of light oil (3-in-1), Redex or the aerosol version of Slick50 1Lube, before replacing the cover, will quieten the fan quite dramatically; it will also help extend its lifespan.

lintony 09:58 28 Jan 2004

The computer is only 2 years old. I hardly think that it is on it's way out!

Tog 12:57 28 Jan 2004

Norton does take a long time to finish loading and it does access the HDD a lot. So yes, try defragging, it certainly won't hurt.

Tog 13:14 28 Jan 2004

Is NAV set to do a quick scan on start-up?

lintony 13:28 28 Jan 2004

Tog. No NAV isn't set to do a quick scan on start up. Should I do that?

Stuartli 14:26 28 Jan 2004

If you read my posting again more carefully you will discover that I was referring to your hard drive - not computer system.

I can assure you that a hard drive can last two minutes, two years, five years or whatever you are lucky enough to achieve.

It only needs a moment of careless handling, being dropped even a short distance or for internal problems to arise for an HDD to give up the ghost in no time at all.

That's why I suggested, just in case this was the problem that a full backup ASAP would be very wise, especially as a noisy drive more often than not indicates failure in the not too distant future.

There is no hard drive available to the general public that has a guaranteed (minimum)life span - average warranty is one year and just a few come with a three year warranty.

lintony 14:33 28 Jan 2004

Thank you for your advise but I am no computer expert, neither am I a child so please don't talk to me as I was one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?