noisy central processing unit

trying 09:22 10 Sep 2003

Can anyone out there, explain a pulsating noise from the cpu unit, it is there aven if I am not on line. It's driving me crazy!!!! The computer is only six months old.

Any noise at all from the CPU is going to be a fan (the only other possible noise being a slight fizz as it melts and after which you wont get any noise at all ;-)

If it is "pulsating" then it may be a fluctuating power supply. Try a new fan and see if it continues, it it does then PSU may be faulty and if a premanufactured PC the PSU's are not always of the highest quality.....

Snap..

trying 09:44 10 Sep 2003

Computer built by a private retailer.
Had to have a new modem fitted after the m/blast worm infection?

[email protected] 10:00 10 Sep 2003

Why did you need a new modem after a virus - I wasnt aware they could do much to hardware??

I have not heard of any virus that would cause you to need a new modem - I dont suppose for one moment he gave you the old one back did he?, not, thought not. In fact, I have never heard of a modem failing at all!!

-pops- 12:48 10 Sep 2003

Seems more like a crook than a retailer.

Terrahawk 13:08 10 Sep 2003

have seen modems go but usually due to lightning and lack of surge protection but a virus knocking a modem out i must admit is a first worst possible scenario would be corrupted drivers i would suggest finding a new retailer

trying 16:27 10 Sep 2003

As you are probably all aware by now that I am new to computers, and also green. I just took his word for the modem.In future I will ask the helproom for advice. I could not get online due to the m/blast worm, thats why I had to take the unit in to the shop.

No-one is saying for one moment that you were wrong to take it to the shop, just what a bloody bunch of crooks SOME retailers are.

Dont worry, I hope he did not charge you too much and yes, from now on you have a wealth of excellent advice on repairing your PC and best of all, its totally free!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017