Noises when I try to convert video file

zeppman 16:19 17 May 2007

I'm not sure where the fault is but when I tried to covert a video file I get a noise after a about 5 or 10 minutes even with the sound on mute.I'm not sure if it's coming from the hardrive or the motherboard.It happens roughly every 30-45 secs and the computer seems to slow down and everthing takes a while to open. I'm not sure how to illiminate the board or drive so I can fix the problem by replacing it.the convertion failed after leaving the noise to go on.The drive is C: drive which is over 4 years old.If I stop the convertion by rebooting the noise stops.

skidzy 17:47 17 May 2007

Sounds like harddrive activity.Have you ran disc cleanup and defrag recently...if not,i suggest you do.

Though you should consider the drive my be on its way out,therefore backup all important data/videos/pics etc.
Its possible the drive has some bad sectors etc.

Run chkdsk some help below.

click here

Also something to try with your conversion click here

zeppman 00:22 21 May 2007

I've performed CHKDSK twice without any error but when I anulyse with Diskeeper It shows alot of low performing files and folers on the C: drive.The PC is really slow at opening windows and performing tasks browsing can be slow,Would a failing drive have this effect on my PC?

zeppman 00:38 21 May 2007

I have ordered a new Hard drive to replace the 160GB Samsung with a Western digital 160GB. Hope this solves the problem and will I simply be able to do a straight swop and format and install XP Pro?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone