Noise from new hard drive

carver 22:00 12 Oct 2003

I've just installed a new Maxtor 80GB hard drive with an 8mb buffer that is very quite after boot up but if you write to it or run scan disk it starts making a grinding noise while it's doing either of the two functions. Any ideas any one?.

Djohn 22:26 12 Oct 2003

I've just recently bought two of these 80Gb drives and they are whisper quiet in operation, [Fluid bearings] Scandisk/defrag and read/write cannot be heard, you have to look at the light on the tower to see if they are working.

I'm sorry to say it would seem that yours is faulty. :o(

Gaz 25 00:41 13 Oct 2003

Sounds kaput!

carver 09:11 13 Oct 2003

What I want to know is how I get the only hard drive that is knackered from day 1. Watford Electronics had about 200 in stock and they manage to sort out the only duff one and send it to me. I suspected it might have something wrong but I thought it might just have been me being paranoid about abnormal noise from the hard drive. Thanks for the replies.

Jester2K II 09:13 13 Oct 2003

Sounds like duff bearings (even if the are fluid bearings)

minter 09:27 13 Oct 2003

Have a look here click here

It is recommended to run PowerMax on all Maxtor hard drives prior to warranty replacement.

It may not solve your problem, but it could help.

carver 18:09 13 Oct 2003

The only problem with the PowerMax is that it will not support motherboards with Nvidia chipsets and mine has, it's a Gigabyte board with an Nforce chip. Anyway thanks for the replies. I have to look on the positive side, I am now getting to be quite an expert at replacing hard drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone