NOF- Can't update amendments to site

Diemmess 09:16 07 Aug 2006

An unambitious local information site with 8 pages and appropriate links.
Over the last few weeks there have been small changes of text or image position always easily transferred by remote publishing.

Now, a simple typing amendment to each of 3 pages shows as corrected in Preview and Local Publishing, but no apparent change on the website itself when visited on the internet.

If I explore the website control panel all the html files appear to have the corrections made.
It is as though there are two versions there one stored on the website, and one the visitor sees?

How can I deal with this "constipation?"

barryoneoff.co.uk 09:29 07 Aug 2006

own browser cache, is it?

Diemmess 09:33 07 Aug 2006

Sorry barryoneoff.co.uk, That is the sort of term where I have to be taken to one side and have things explained s.l.o.w.l.y

Diemmess 09:44 07 Aug 2006

The light dawned (perhaps)
I went offline used ccleaner to be rid of possible old references and shortcuts.
Used google to find what I wanted by linked sites and the minor errors on my site are still there.

ade.h 14:59 07 Aug 2006

Hi Diemmess,

I hope you don't mind but I have just had a look at your server contents (just as well that I kept the login details - I knew it would be useful!) There are no old files as far I can see. You have an index.htm in the www folder and one in the public_html folder, but looking at their properties telss me that they are one and the same, so won't cause any problems. I was looking for a server-side cache, but there doesn't appear to be one (at least, not accessible anyway).

ade.h 15:02 07 Aug 2006

It is possible that you might need to delete the existing files from the server before uploading the revised site from NOF; I have experienced this sort of thing once or twice, and it was possibly a case of NOF not overwriting the files.

Diemmess 15:33 07 Aug 2006

Must really try and give your horses a rest ade.
Glad you kept the details, it saves time! Also glad you found the updated files on site as I did.

Spent a fruitless morning with EUKHOST and freephone in what sounded like a bad satellite link with darkest Darjeeling,

Live chat as well which suggested "submit a ticket to tech help who would be able to sort it all out for me".
Snag there, could log in to the home page and accounts, but wouldn't carry over to submit a ticket!

Can you tell me the safe way to clear the website ready for a full publish from a known good site?
Obviously (I think!)deletion has to avoid site framework damage.

ade.h 15:47 07 Aug 2006

When I have hit this particular snag, I just delete each HTML file, plus any assets that need to be updated. This will force NOF to upload the latest versions (if that's where the problem lies). There shouldn't be any need to remove any other files.

Diemmess 15:55 07 Aug 2006

Was on the point of posting this when your latest came in

In the website cpanel>file manager, the three ammended pages - index.htm, parish_council.html, and memorial_hall.html all are showning as intended. There has been no change to images or linked pdf files.

So where is the host finding the old stuff to use instead?

Diemmess 15:57 07 Aug 2006

Perhaps the answer to my last is "don't ask, do it!"

ade.h 16:10 07 Aug 2006

Maybe there is a server cache - ISPs often include them for restoring customers' sites if the server goes pear-shaped. If that is the case - and I really don't know whether it could be the cause of this - you could ask the ISP to clear it. But the question is; will the people in murky Mumbai be any use?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?