No wireless access through a Touchspeed 576v6

Richjack 09:23 16 May 2007

Hi,

I have been with AOL for the last 8 months or so and have been using the TOUCHSPEED 577v6 router through a cable connection. Recently, and for reasons unknown the router and AOL software have malfunctioned and have been re-installed. This has prompted me to try and get the Wireless connection up and running. However, when I try to create a connection, the laptop indicates that there is no network within range. I know that the wireless network on the laptop is working as I have picked up other networks previously. The WLAN light on the router remains an orange colour (indicating to me that that the problem may lay here!!!!) I do have internet connection through the cable, but I have now decided to take the wireless option and am reluctant to give up on it.

Richjack

Richjack 10:43 16 May 2007

I have fat fingers, the router is actually a TOUCHSPEED 576v6 and not as I have stated above.

But please still help

setecio 11:33 16 May 2007

Can you log into the router and check if wireless is disabled somewhere. The manual will give you the method of logging in - usually something like 192.168.0.1 in Internet Explorer.

Richjack 11:39 16 May 2007

These are the settings from within the router, that i can see.

Configuration
Interface Enabled: Yes
Physical Address: 00:14:7F:2A:A4:C3
Network Name (SSID): richardsNetwork
Interface Type: 802.11g
Actual Speed: 54 Mbps
Security
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed automatically)
Security Mode: WEP

setecio 12:33 16 May 2007

Look for SSID broadcast in there somewhere and check that it is enabled, (you can disable it again when connected if you want)

Richjack 12:58 16 May 2007

It is broadcasting its Network name as the settings below show (if this is the SSID thingy?). However, i do now have a green light on the WLAN section of the router (however it is not flashing) after changing the security settings to WPA-PSK as apposed to WEP. I can only asume that the SSID is enabled. here are my settings after i have got the WLAN green

Wireless Access Point - richardsNetwork
Configuration

Interface Enabled: Yes
Physical Address: 00:14:7F:2A:A4:C3
Network Name (SSID): richardsNetwork
Interface Type: 802.11g
Actual Speed: 54 Mbps
Channel Selection: Auto
Region: Europe
Channel: 1
Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes
WMM: enabled
Security
Broadcast Network Name: Yes
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed automatically)
Security Mode: WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK Preshared Key: 38d268ea6cb44130945fff986ae43e5f2f9d4542c9ada56845xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WPA-PSK Encryption: TKIP
WPA-PSK Version: WPA .

Please help :(

Richjack 21:22 16 May 2007

Can anyone help?

setecio 09:02 17 May 2007

Log into the router and turn off all wireless security for 5 minutes, and see if you can then connect - turn in on against afterwards. If you can connect then it is narrowed down to a wireless security issue.

Richjack 12:30 17 May 2007

No, nothing.

But, Yesterday evening i had my routers network avaiable on the laptop, but could not connect. So, i restarted the router and laptop in a vain attempt, but nothing. I no longer can detect a network on my laptop. AAARGH.

Richjack 12:16 18 May 2007

setecio

Many thanks for your assistance in the problem. I have managed to sort the problem, by realising what one of the shortcut key above the laptop keyboard was. Yes, the Wireless o-n/o-f-f interface. Matter resolved, and i am wireless.

Thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017