No Windows or recovery disks

FatboySlim71 08:17 15 Oct 2009

A friend of mine has an HP Pavilion laptop, which up until a few days ago worked fine.

He said that he installed Registry Mechanic (he thinks it was called that). He said that he chose the 'Compact Your Registry' option and now his laptop will not boot into Windows, it boots past the BIOS screen and then he gets a black screen with white text that mentions something about System 32 Config.

We have tried pressing all the F key one by one on bootup to see if there is a hidden recovery partition but there doesn't seem to be one. We tried booting in Safe Mode but this only got has far as the screen I mentioned above.

He overlooked to create any recovery disks when he first purchased the laptop.

So the only thing I could suggest to him would be that I might be able to download the necessary drivers disks when I have the correct model number etc from him, but I wasn't sure regarding Windows (he had Vista Premium installed). I thought that he might not be able to install an OEM version of Vista Premium on his laptop again due to Microsoft's licensing, but I thought that someone on here may know a bit more than we know.

I don't know if this will be of any use, but I have on my PC Vista Ultimate. This is an OEM version, but it is the bronze colored Microsoft branded disk, I thought that he may be able to install this and enter his own license key, this might then revert my Ultimate version back to the Premium version, has I had assumed that the license key told the system what version it was, i.e. Premium, Ultimate.

Thanks in advance.

birdface 08:41 15 Oct 2009

He can do a system repair but he would need the Vista disc. I would imagine it would need to be the same version as he has already has installed not sure if another version of Vista would do.But someone else may be able to give you more information.

sharpamat 09:08 15 Oct 2009

Im supprised he as not got the recovary section on his hard drive ( may be marked as factory image )If this has been removed in the adsence of recovary discs the cheapest option would be the purchase a set from HP

I belive the cost is around £30 and will restore the system to factoty settins have a look on HPs website you will need model and serial number to get the correct licenced set

BRYNIT 09:17 15 Oct 2009

You could try Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express (Free)
click here It can some times repair problems with windows start up. Although I have not found the Manual for the free version you could read the Manual for Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 professional click here

rdave13 09:39 15 Oct 2009

If your Version of Windows is 32 bit then I can't see a problem on trying to use your disc to try a repair. I think all versions are on the DVD.
To try a startup repair; click here
Worth a try.

FatboySlim71 09:40 15 Oct 2009

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I eventually found the appropriate section on HP (UK) website regarding recovery disks, it then transfered me to another site (BEST 2 SERVE) where you can purchase the recovery disks which according to BEST 2 SERVE contain the OS, user guide (to help you reset the computer to factory settings) and drivers.

I just need to get the details off my friend of the information that is on the sticker that is affixed to the bottom of his laptop, to enable me to order/or to tell him which one he will need to order.

rdave13 09:49 15 Oct 2009

Here's a guide on how to find the details needed; click here

FatboySlim71 09:54 15 Oct 2009

Thanks rdave13 :)

FatboySlim71 23:38 19 Oct 2009

Just to update:

I was able to successfully repair my friend's laptop with my Vista Ultimate bronze coloured Microsoft branded disk. My friend sends his thanks. When I went to repair, it said it found a problem that prevented the laptop from starting up, it mention something about Boot record (or similar), it repaired this and it is up and running again.

It would make life so much easier if all PC's were supplied with the OS on a bronze coloured Microsoft branded disk, especially when it comes to doing a simple repair, rather than recovery disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?