No video reception on Skype

sannymac 16:12 19 Jul 2007

I have a new desktop PC with a Portuguese version of Windows XP Home Edition and my wife has an IBM Thinkpad with the English version of Windows XP. both m/c's are connected to an 8 Meg DSL line via a wireless router. Skype has been installed in both machines.

The video call link to our son in the UK works perfectly; but my desktop doesn’t display the video but my son receives my video signal.
I’ve tried temporarily switching off the Firewall but that had no effect.

Any suggestions Please!

Stuartli 17:10 19 Jul 2007

Have you checked the video configuration from Skype's Tools?

When you are connected, the Skype panel should provide the option to switch the video on and off and have picture in picture.

Stuartli 17:11 19 Jul 2007

..from Skype's Tools>Options>Video....

sannymac 23:49 19 Jul 2007

Thanks Stuartli: I had gone through the process you described several times wit no result

Stuartli 00:36 20 Jul 2007

It may be due to the fact that you appear to be video conferencing i.e. with more than two users.

However, I wouldn't switch off your firewall for any reason.

sannymac 23:45 26 Jul 2007

Thanks Stuartli for the helpful comments. I only suspended the firewall long enough to check this was not the cause of my problem. By a process of elimination I believe I have found the culprit. I removed my anti virus program AVG and replaced it with Norton 2006. I now have two way video links.
Once again thank you for your help, it was much appreciated.

Technotiger 05:14 27 Jul 2007

I found this solution to the above problem by chance - I am in UK, one of my friends is in Zanzibar, we both use AVG. He could see my video in Skype, I could not see his video. I stopped my video then got my friend to start his - at this point I right-clicked on the Chat icon in my friends section of Skype and in the drop-down menu I then chose 'view video in window'. I then re-started my video and we had two-way video. We now start this way each time.

So, there is more than one way to skin-a-cat, as they say!

Stuartli 08:09 27 Jul 2007

Well done..:-)

Stuartli 08:09 27 Jul 2007

You need to tick as Resolved.

sannymac 11:28 27 Jul 2007

Sorry guys I thought I had ticked the 'Resolved' box.
Good work Technotiger. As we use the system to keep in contact with Family in the UK and can make several calls in a day, I think I would find this procedure a little irritating. With Norton I have no problems whatsoever.
Stuartli: perhaps one of the techies might like to take this up with AVG – out of my depth I’m afraid.
Thanks for all the help.

sannymac 11:28 27 Jul 2007

Sorry guys I thought I had ticked the 'Resolved' box.
Good work Technotiger. As we use the system to keep in contact with Family in the UK and can make several calls in a day, I think I would find this procedure a little irritating. With Norton I have no problems whatsoever.
Stuartli: perhaps one of the techies might like to take this up with AVG – out of my depth I’m afraid.
Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone