No USB2

ian-inhome 15:39 21 Oct 2007

The computer has 2 USB ports on the motherboard and a card with 4 USB sockets on.
Whenever I plug in my external hard drive or USB scanner etc I get the message”This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a HI speed USB port. For a list of hi speed ports click here.” When you click you get the message “ Hi speed USB device connected to a non hi speed hub” it then lists the four ports that are on the USB card as hi speed and unused and suggests plugging into them even though the device is already plugged into one of them. If I back up with the hdd it is much slower than on my other computer where it does run at USB 2 speed.
Motherboard is a Gigabyte 7ZXE 1.0
Windows XP pro SP2
All drivers up to date as per Gigabyte website and driver agent.com
I have tried the card in another slot.
Memory 1024m
Any ideas please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 21 Oct 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 15:51 21 Oct 2007

Under USB in Device Manager, do you get Enhanced USB showing? if not I would suggest you go to the Motherboard Manufacturers Site and Download all the Drivers

woodchip 15:52 21 Oct 2007

Forgot to add, check in BIOS to make sure all USB is enabled

crosstrainer 16:01 21 Oct 2007

Also be the case that the high speed ports are present on the motherboard, but have not been connected via the appropriate cable.

ian-inhome 16:13 21 Oct 2007

Thanks for the replies. I tried your suggestion fruitbat. Unfortunately just the same.
Woodchip I have checked the bios it appears to be correct. In device manager it does list "via USB enhanced host controller" The gigabyte web site links you in to driveragent.com which when scanned states the drivers are up to date. But I will try again. Crosstrainer I suppose that is a possibility

Stuartli 20:28 21 Oct 2007

The USB2.0 drivers are included in SP2.

Have a look at:

click here

Stuartli 20:29 21 Oct 2007

Some Bios setups allow the number of USB2.0 ports to be Enabled for use i.e. 2, 4, 6 or 8 ports.

woodchip 20:30 21 Oct 2007

Cannot see how both Motherboard usb and a Card failing

Totally-braindead 20:46 21 Oct 2007

It could be one of those windows glitches we hear about. I have seen a few others reporting the same thing but the devices are attached to USB 2.0 ports. Someone was on about this last week with his printer and he never got a solution and just ended up ignoring the message.
If you have USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 ports and have a pen drive or an external hard drive you could see how long it takes to write the same file to it using both ports. If theres a significant difference then you would know which were USB 2.0 and which were the slower USB 1.1.
Can't think of anything else.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:02 21 Oct 2007

If its working at Full speed the turn off the error message click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017