No system sound

User-FF5826C8-C546-4EF1-9F50D1F610C81C38 22:18 03 Mar 2007

My sound card and speakers are working OK.
I cant play any system sounds.When I go to Sounds and Audio Properties all the Volume tabs are greyed out.In Audio when I try to play a sound 'cannot play the sound your sound card may be in use' comes up.In Audio and Voice only choice is 'modem #0 line playback'.In Harware Legacy audio/video drivers -device usage greyed out along with video/audio codecs and media control devices. In BIOS onboard sound is enabled.I have tried sytem restore and ran SFC /scannow.

johnem 22:29 03 Mar 2007

Go to control panel, sounds and audio, in speaker settimgs click on advanced and select the type of speaker set up that you have ie 5 to 1.The click on sounds tab and select windows default. Next click on Audio and select the correct sound card from the drop down list. Then select voice and check that your sound card is visible in the drop down list. Click apply. In the Device area, click on advanced and check the setting in the control panel, if all appear OK, make sure that the mute all is not ticked. Click OK and try it. My system seems to reset these on a regular basis.
Let us know how you get on.

eedcam 23:04 03 Mar 2007

Have you just allowed windows automatic updates

johnem ,all tabs on Volume tab including advanced are all greyed out. eedcam, between 18/2/07 and 26/2/07 Ive had 11 automatic win. updates.I dont know exactly when system sounds stopped working.

eedcam 22:46 04 Mar 2007

Well can assure myself and others have had similar problems with auto updates try unticking auto updates then reboot. If that does not work try restore again to before the updates nand make sure the auto update is still unticked

Debbzuk 09:49 05 Mar 2007

If your are still having problems with no sound, try downloading Aida32, once installed, you will have a list on the left hand side, click on computer, then summary, it will tell you everything about whats on your pc, under multimedia it should list your audio and a link to find out more info or download drivers.

Good luck

Debbzuk ,I have ran Aidia32 under mutimedia/windows audio/device 'wave.in.0 modem #0 line record' and 'wave.in.0 modem #0 line playback'.there is no other information.
Eedcam ,I have tried turning off updates/restore.

Ho-Lin-Sok 00:17 08 Mar 2007

Have a look in "services" and make sure Windows Audio is not disabled.

H0-Lin-Sok ,In "services" window audio was disabled.I set to automatic rebooted went to "sounds audio device prpperties" all tabs still greyed out.clicked on "sounds" picked a sound clicked play, message 'windows cannot play sound your sound card may be in use'.

Ho-Lin-Sok 14:20 09 Mar 2007

Try uninstalling the modem and rebooting.

I have uninstalled modem still no system sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?