No system restore

jonboy2 16:49 22 Nov 2008

Hi,

Try as I may I cannot get 'System Restore' to create a 'restore point' at all, on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine.
I have a 250 GB hard drive, running with 3 Gb of RAM, partitioned into 5 drives but have only the 'C' drive set to monitor restore.
I have tried to monitor all drives but that does not work.

The 'C' drive is 32GB in size with 18GB free space.

'Services' are set to 'Auto' and have 'Started', I've tried setting to 'Manual' but this does not work.

I run AVG v8 and a Comodo firewall.

Any ideas ?

Regards,
John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 22 Nov 2008

Right click [My Computer] [Properties] then click on System Restore tab.
Put a check in the box for Disable Restore on all drives.
Click apply, then Reboot your PC.
After the system reboots, navigate to the System Restore tab and turn it back on. Click apply.
Navigate to [System Tools] [Restore...] and choose [Create a Restore Point]
Provide a name for the new restore point.
Try and restore the new point just created. It should work properly.

mfletch 16:58 22 Nov 2008

Try turning the system restore off and them back on again,

You will lose all the restore points but at least you will have a fresh start just in case one of the restore points was corrupted

mfletch 16:59 22 Nov 2008

I Must learn to type faster

jonboy2 13:18 23 Nov 2008

Hi,
I have tried both of these options before, to no avail.
I have the steps advised by the Microsoft website, which similar to the ones you have advised.
When I try to create a 'Restore Point' I get an error message; 'System Restore was not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer, and then System restore again'
I do but the same thing happens. DOOH!

mfletch 14:11 23 Nov 2008

Try disconnecting from the Internet then turn off your Antivirus and firewall you should be able to do this by the right click on there icons in the system tray,

Then try doing a system restore again

rawprawn 14:34 23 Nov 2008

Go to Start > Run > type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. You will need your XP Disk (watch the space between sfc and /)

jonboy2 15:52 23 Nov 2008

Hi,
Sorry mfletch but that did not work, same error message.
rawprawn, what will running sfc /scannow achieve?

Whilst I was away I installed Runtime's 'DriveImage' in an attempt to back up my C drive, but that came up with an error saying that vssvc.exe was not running. I checked in 'Services' but could not find any reference to the file.
I did a Google search for vssvc.exe and came up with this.
Vssvc.exe is a process belonging to the Volume ShadowCopy service implemented into Windows XP and onwards. This service allows files which are modified to be backed up automatically by the operating system.

If this .exe file is missing could this affect System Restore?

hiwatt 16:50 23 Nov 2008

Try this.Go to control panel/folder options and choose "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files" You'll be asked if you're sure you want to display them,click yes then ok.Now rename the system volume information folder to system volume information 2.Do this by right clicking the folder and click on rename.This worked for me in the past although it was a slightly different problem.Here's how you access the folder.click here

Halmer 17:17 23 Nov 2008
  rawprawn 17:19 23 Nov 2008

I felt that at least it would correct any corrupted system files that may be affecting system restore. You seem to have tried all the standard options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?